Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pressure issue with cleaning system

Started by Ormarr, September 27, 2007, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

Is there a way to increase the suction with a python cleaning system?  It cleans reasonably well, but it seems to pull water out at a very slow rate.

I typically turn the water on to initially establish flow to the sink, but I turn the tap off after the tank water starts flowing.  should I keep the tap water on?

Shrimpy

BigDaddy

Leaving the water flowing increases "waste water", but it also allows for more suction through the venturi.

Unless your drain is significantly lower than the tank, you should probably let the cold water run while you are doing your gravel vac

darkdep

Yep, otherwise you're just doing a siphon through a long hose with a lot of friction.  I leave my cold on full blast and it'll suck up anything.

Ormarr

darkdep

Just for conversation; if someone was really against using the extra water you could install a pump inline with the python hose.  Get water flowing, then turn on the pump and turn off the water.  You'll get more flow and save water.

Course, you'll use electricity instead and probably destroy the pump blowing gunk through it and letting it run dry when you pull the tube out of the tank...

jhull_73

After I start My siphon I remove the hose from the venturi and put it in the tub. water flows much faster then it does with the venturi in the way. this way I can leave the water off. It is kind of figgity so I only do that when I'm draining alot of water.

BigDaddy

Quote from: DarkDep on September 27, 2007, 09:55:27 PM
Just for conversation; if someone was really against using the extra water you could install a pump inline with the python hose.  Get water flowing, then turn on the pump and turn off the water.  You'll get more flow and save water.

Course, you'll use electricity instead and probably destroy the pump blowing gunk through it and letting it run dry when you pull the tube out of the tank...

Jehmco sells a setup like this, but it remains in the tank and uses elbows to ensure the syphon is broken when the waterline gets to point "X".  Pretty easy to build one on your own as well....