Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

SAEs becoming nasty?

Started by dan2x38, October 01, 2007, 12:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Babblefish in a post mentioned that SAEs can be nippers? I thought it was only CAEs that were aggressive and slim suckers. I got a prized female Black Skirt Tetra that has very beautiful following fins and she is quite big. A week ago I noticed she had part of her lower tail fin missing. She is doing fine it is already starting to regrow. My SAE in that tank is quite chunky I now bet it was his handy work. That tank is a 29g should I think about moving him or putting him up for adoption?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

A 29 gallon tank is a little short for the torpedo shape and speed of a Siamese Algae eater, and yes, your black skirt tetra is at risk, it moves slower, and presents a suitable target with its flowing fins.  After about a couple of inches in length, I have noticed for many years, that SAE's become untrustworthy and a bit of a problem, especially if there are less than three of them.  A bit like most barbs, they just seem to need to chase and nip.  And I have never noticed full grown adults to eat algae much any more, nasty fish, they need to go I am afraid.

beowulf

I agree with Babble, I have 4 and they seem to keep themselves occupied and also by having a rainbow shark, he keeps them on their toes has he chases them from time to time.

Laura

This is interesting. I keep my SAE (3) with redline barbs (5) and they shoal very well together.  Although I've seen the SAE chase each other (more so when I had 2), I have never seen them look twice at anyone else in the tank.  I guess the biggest is about 4 in long and getting quite thick bodied.

I kept brig snails in tank too, and they have never bothered them, although they liked to clean their shells.  On a side note, they did eat the limpits that I had in the tank.  Mine also regularly graze on the algae in their tank, although not in the way they did when younger. Maybe they'll get lazier with age. 

Perhaps my lack of problems comes from the larger number that they shoal with?  They are one of my favourite fish in the tank, although I know they're not flashy  ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

I had a SAE that would constantly harass my pepper cories, to the point where they were hiding most of the time.  I only had 1 SAE in a 20 long though, so maybe more would've been better.

Irene

dan2x38

Like Laura said the SAE is one of my favorate fish... :( I have 1 that is very awesome... 1 in another tank blind in 1 eye he is a fav. too... In 3 tanks I have a total of 4... but no room to keep them in 1 tank... I think the classifieds will have a new entry!  :( :o

I have had a few others occupants in one tank or another with a little damage from time to time... My favorate Neon Gorumai had some dorsal fin damage I thought he just got caught up on some driftwood... yes Irene my Decker Cories in the tank with the largest SAE stay in one spot always... this all makes sense now... I always thought they were harmless!  :o
Voltaire:

busdriver

Don't sell your SAE's, just buy bigger tanks, they don't seem to be too much of a problem in the 75 and 150 gal. I have.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Laura

Quote from: busdriver on October 01, 2007, 09:27:13 AM
Don't sell your SAE's, just buy bigger tanks, they don't seem to be too much of a problem in the 75 and 150 gal. I have.
Mine are in a 65, but they were not a problem in the 45 either.  I would love a 4' tank for them, but that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.... :(

Can you switch fish out to accommodate them all together in your 38 gallon for the time being? 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Busdriver no room for any more tanks... Laura like the assortment in the 38... I will miss them but ya got to do what ya got to do...  :(
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

There is always room for more tanks, ask anyone here, they seem to sneak into all manner of corners and niches, but hey, you have to secrete them in when no one is looking. ;D

As for not being able to accommodate the evil SAE's, you could always eat the ones that don't fit into your plan. :)

dan2x38

Quote from: babblefish1960 on October 02, 2007, 12:55:53 AM
As for not being able to accommodate the evil SAE's, you could always eat the ones that don't fit into your plan. :)

Babblefish their getting big enough...  :D I know the wife would spot a 75-90 gallon tank... after all she did notice the hippo in the living room... LMAO

My favorate is #3 & #4 is Latios'...

Here are the 4 culprits:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Voltaire: