Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Maintenance of a Fluval 404 and an Aqua Clear 70

Started by CMW, October 13, 2007, 08:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

I have been running a Fluval 404 and just added an Aqua Clear 70 to my aquarium (bringing Koi in for the winter and wanted to be sure there is plenty of filtration).

In reading the pkg on the new filter, it says to toss out and replace the biomax and foam filters every 3 mnths.

Given that these filters use bacteria, that lives in these filter media, to break down the amonia and nitrates....should I really be removing it.

Does anyone have suggestions for how often and how much these filters should be cleaned and/or replaced?  I could use a Filter Maintenance 101.

Thanks,
c

MikeM

This is my Fluval 404 cleaning regimen, it's worked well for me so far:

Unhook the filter from the tank, carry it to the sink and pop it open.  Remove the media trays and set them aside.  Pull out the foam inserts and wring them out good in the tank water left in the filter.  Then I take the trays with biomax and, one and a time, slide them up and down in the filter case.  Hard enough to dislodge any crud that's built up, but not hard enough to knock any of the biomax out of the tray.  The other two trays in my 404 just have floss in them, I toss and replace that with fresh floss.  Then I dump out the dirty water from the filter, put everything back together, and hope it's in a good mood and it will take a prime ;).  Sometimes I find the self-primer pump thing to be fussy and I have a hard time getting it to refill.

I have 2 404's on my 75 g, and I alternate maintaining them every two to three weeks, meaning each canister gets serviced about once a month or so.  The foam inserts get quite clogged and the flow is noticeably better when I clean them.  As far as I know, there's no good reason to ever replace the biomax unless it starts to crumble.  Be sure not to rinse the biomax in tap water, as the chloramine will kill the bacteria.  I'm careful and rinse everything in the old tank water, it's quite an ugly brown after I've rinsed everything out.

CMW

Thank you for this info.  I think I was neglecting my Fluval.  I opened it tonight for the first time since setting it up a few mnths ago.  The water was NASTY (though the tank water was still very good).  I rinsed the sponge with well water (untreated/before our drinking water treatment system) and gave the biomax a swish around in some of the same water.  I did not completely empty the water from the 404, guess I could have - just was not sure where my bacteria might be residing.  I guess lucky for me we have no chlorine or chloramine, otherwise I could have done some damage. 

I did some googling and someone recommended rinsing the biomax with "aged" aquarium water.  I also found an old ovas post that indicated the sponges generally only last about a year.

I had some of that ammonia removing media in it, but have taken it out now.  Someone warned me that if I put salt in the water that it can cause this media to release the toxins it holds.  I have carbon but have not needed it yet.  While I am bringing everyone in for the winter I am using some melafix.  Once that is done I am going to toss some carbon in the AQ70 as our water is a bit tea coloured from some drift wood.

Sigh, this filter thing seems very complicated while at the start of the learning curve.

Ah, how much filter floss do you put in?  I am now only using two baskets for biomax.  I have also heard people talk about medium sponge.  I take it the rectangular sponges in the 404 would be considered large and filter floss must be considered...ultra-fine????  Do you have anything between the rectangular sponges and your floss?

Cheers,
c

audioslave_36

yep I have ten 404's and I clean mine the same way, I have never replaced the foam or the biomax, just the floss.  And my fishies are all happy(even mister sharky :) )

Dave

CMW

Dave;

I am glad to hear that Mr Sharky is doing well.  Bruce is sitting here and just asked if we are going to go visit Mr. Sharky......I think he just wants to see your in-wall 220.....I am pretty sure I know what is rolling around in the back of his mind as far as finishing off the basement goes...sigh, very deep sigh.  So, did we retain visitation?

:D
c

audioslave_36

for sure, anytime you want to stop by you are welcome.

Dave