Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

overdriving fluorescent lights

Started by Brine, October 13, 2007, 04:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

Anybody have any experience with overdriving fluorescent lights?
I found this article and it seems simple enough but I thought I'd ask around first

http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

BigDaddy

I have overdriven compact fluorescent bulbs before.. but it is the same for standard bulbs.

Heat becomes and issue and bulb life is seriously impacted.  However, you do get more light with less available space.

If you have the space for more bulbs, add more bulbs.  If you don't, then overdrive.

dan2x38

Hey Brian here is the link I mentioned to you for overdriving lights. To view the diagram you will need to register but it's no biggy. Sorry I didn't post it sooner. Yes like BD it shortens the blub life...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Adam

150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

dan2x38

Voltaire:

Brine

You gotta love the internet ...so much contradictory information. I guess I'll just try to fit another fixture in to get more light that way. Some part of me wants to try the overdriving though...perhaps in the future.

Adam

Tell me about it...

It could have been poor wiring or a host of other reasons.  It may not have been the ODNO, but the fact that it was melted in half is a pretty decent indicator.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

dan2x38

Quote from: Brine on October 14, 2007, 10:50:01 PM
Some part of me wants to try the overdriving though...perhaps in the future.

Sure but install an overhead sprinkler first!
Voltaire: