Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dwarf puffer fry!

Started by irene, October 18, 2007, 04:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

So the fry I found in my 20g long tank have now grown large enough to identify and they are actually dwarf puffer fry, not c.irrubesco as I previously thought!  The adults must have bred just before I sold them.  I've moved them to a grow out tank and there are 12!

Here's a pic, it's not that great but you can sort of see them if you look close!

Just wanted to share. :)

Irene

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aiglos

Wow !

Congratulations ! Do we have a club first with these ?

irene

Um, what's a club first? ???

Irene

Quatro

Quote from: Aiglos on October 18, 2007, 06:37:52 PM
Wow !

Congratulations ! Do we have a club first with these ?

I think he means that you may be the first to breed dwarf puffers.  I can't recall anyone doing it before (in the club that is).

Aiglos

Quote from: Quatro on October 18, 2007, 07:25:01 PM
I think he means that you may be the first to breed dwarf puffers. 

QFT

Exactly what I meant.

irene

Well, it was totally accidental, I don't even own the parents anymore.   Zima has them so maybe he'll have a club second! ;D

I noticed the fry shortly after I sold the parents and for a long time I thought it was my redeyes that had spawned.  I only ever saw 2 at a time too, but when I started netting them to move to a different tank there ended up being 12 so far!

Irene

Jeff1192

That's so cool! If I ever add a second small tank somewhere in my house it will be for dwarf puffers. It's too bad they're so aggressive, I'd love to put some in my community tank. I know it was an accident (the fry) but it's really good because it means you did a great job taking care of them if they were comfortable enough to reproduce.

Nice going!

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

renadia

Wow that's a nice surprise and 12 of them that's a lot of puffers. Why did you sell the parents? Were you changing the type of fish in your tank?

KLKelly

Very cool!!!!! Congrats : )  I can only make out one in the picture - they must still be crazy small!

jodes22

succinctfish

They are so cute.  :)  Thanks for sharing.  You did a great job getting a picture of such wee fishies.

Laura

I'm glad they've done so well - you should inquire about BAP points for them.

Congrats!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

Thanks again for the microworm culture Laura, it's kept them going so far!   

I sold the parents because at that time I had no idea that they had bred and I had my pair of red eye puffers in a 10g and it was just too small.  The male was constantly chasing/biting the female and I was worried he would kill her so I wanted them moved into to 20g long which contained the dp's.  So I sold them to make room. 

I'm hoping the redeyes will breed, but apparently that is VERY rare in captivity, so we'll see.

Once the dp's have grown out, I may offer them for sale so anyone interested in captive bred dp's, keep an eye on the classifieds! ;)

Irene

irene

I got 2 really good pics this morning:

[attachment deleted by admin]

KatarinaH

Cool! Keep Me Posted!

Put me on reserve for the smiling dwarf puffer!  :D