Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate Question!

Started by Oceanne, October 13, 2007, 09:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanne

What substrate would be preferable for a 15g (that will be transfered eventually to a 25g) containing either julies or telmas..  I've seen tanks with sandy substrate, and I like the look, but what would the small cichlids prefer?

Thanks!!
A

beowulf

Sand is fine and you can get the African cichlid one if you need your pH buffered.

mila

Quote from: Oceanne on October 13, 2007, 09:13:52 PM
What substrate would be preferable for a 15g (that will be transfered eventually to a 25g) containing either julies or telmas..  I've seen tanks with sandy substrate, and I like the look, but what would the small cichlids prefer?

Julies don't care much about substrate, they like to be higher in rock crevices, but some telmatochromis like to make pits in the sand for fry. If you add pair of some shell dwellers to julies tank, use sand. Shelies are good sand castle builders.
Small gravel is OK, too, but coarse sand is better.

Quatro

I wouldn't classify it as sand.  The grain size is 5mm to 10mm.  Here are some links to the Caribsea website that list available substrates.  I'm currently looking to get some Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand (BA's price $40 for 20lbs, special order)

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/cichlid_eco-complete.html
http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/cichlid.html

Oceanne

I've read that you can use the pool filter sand?  What are the views on the subject?

Right now, I have some crushed coral.
I was thinking of adding a bit of the Cichlid gravel mix - Rift Valley stuff looks awesome!
(if I can find a smaller quantity than 20 or 50lbs of it!!), and then a bit of sand on top of it..

Am I going overboard here??

Brine

Lots of substrate discussion can be found in this recent thread. You might find some good information there.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=21320.msg150372#msg150372

charlie

Quote from: Brine on October 20, 2007, 07:30:39 PM
Lots of substrate discussion can be found in this recent thread. You might find some good information there.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=21320.msg150372#msg150372
Don`t think that link would be much good to Oceanne, that thread deals with planted substrate.
Regards

woodendude

Quote from: Oceanne on October 20, 2007, 07:15:38 PM
I've read that you can use the pool filter sand?  What are the views on the subject?

I have pool filter sand in one of my tanks. I've no problems with it and the fish don't seem to mind it at all.

markw

Pool filter sand is simply silica sand and it makes for an excellent substate. I have it in all 23 tanks mixed with some crushed coral. It is inexpensive, and as long as you make sure to pre-wash it before use, it is really an excellent choice. Home Depot used to carry it but for some reason has discontinued it, but any pool store will have it. I've even seen it in a light brown colour as well.
Telmatochromis love to dig their shells half into the sand, and build up the sides for added security.

sniggir

I used bomix for my tanks.. same idea as the fool fikter, but it is play ground sand..
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Jesse

What about sand blasting sand? Is it the same idea?

PoisonJello

sand blasting sand can have a lot of metals in it, so it can be bad but there is a lot of different types also i don't think it will kill your fish

if you have a HOB filter you shouldn't use sand, snad can get sucked up and damage the impeller

if you like sand you should have a canister filter

I have the small cichlid gravel mixed with pea sized river rock in one 65g and the fish seem to like it, the other 65g has crushed coral but fish still to small to move it around

mila

Pool filter sand is much better than Bomix/play sand.
It is coarser, never have it in my filters.