Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stiphodon gobies and cherry shrimp

Started by KLKelly, October 23, 2007, 05:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Think these guys are compatible?  I've always wanted cherry shrimp.  I'm down to just the two blue eyed rainbows and the two stiphodon gobies in the ten gallon tank.  The gobies are always out and I also don't want them hiding if the shrimp will annoy them.

Would cherry shrimp have to be quarantined?  I'd hate to bring in anything to the tank as I really like the four inhabitants.

Thanks

Karrie

Laura

Given that they're lower on the food chain, I would have been more worried for the shrimp than for the gobies!  I know nothing about them so am off to google them....

Okay - now keep in mind I'm just going on the info from a 5 minute google search.  There are lots of reports of your gobies being algae grazers while others talk about them loving prawns, bloodworms and the like.  This should make the shrimp nervous. ;) 

It's a judgement call, and unless they're prolific hunters, you probably won't lose all your shrimp, although if there are lots of hiding places you will run a better chance of more surviving and possibly breeding.  Most fish, given the opportunity will eat baby shrimp at the very least.

Technically, you should quarantine everything.  I would offer you some from my very established tank, but I just got some new snails, so couldn't swear that nothing has been added.  If you get some from someone you know and trust that it's a well established tank, then I wouldn't worry.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

Laura, thanks a lot for taking the time to look them up. They used to love the black brush algae but now focus on baby brine shrimp/blood worms/flakes and leave the algae to grow. I never thought of them pestering shrimp!  They are a bit territorial with themselves but often eat side by side like best buds. I am sure they would eat the baby shrimp - I think they are the reason why I never had rainbow fry (but I can't be sure).

zapisto

if we are talking of  Stiphodon atropurpureus , they will probably feed on beby shrimp, while the should left adult alone.
but i never try so.....