Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

UPDATED - Peacocks - To mix or not to mix??? That is MY question

Started by hamstercaster, October 30, 2007, 08:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Hey you knowledgeable bunch of fish addicts, I have a "vital" question for you!!! yeah you!!!  :D

I currently have a Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" Yellow Regal in my 75.  He's approximatly 4.5 inches long.  As some of you may know, I've been desperatly trying to add fish to my tank and have yet to come accross fish of interest to me or that were in the somewhat near viscinity of where I live.. give or take a few miles  ;)  Now I may have found a place where I could buy some fish and I'm actually interested in a  Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka" which would add a nice touch of red in my tank... but here's the catch lol.  I have read on the cichlid-forum (cookie cutter) that you can mix pretty much any peacock but Jacofreibergis....... I know for a fact that Réchaud has had problems in the past mixing peacocks but Steve, another friend has not had much problems so far except once.  So, finally my question is:  Can I mix peacocks or not and if so, which species and what should be the numbers.  IE, would it be better to put 3 or 4 males of different species or origin or should I just keep my Maleri on his own so he doesn't get killed or kills his new tank mate(s)

Thank you

steve

i think it depends of the species you nix up my little vyvon.
i had trouble with the maleri and baenschi .
then tried the eureka and my baenschi still rejected him.
maybe the colours are to alike ?
the baenschi does not attack or chase any other fish except for peacocks .
try snails or crabs , but not the ones in your pants  :o
loll

hamstercaster

;D Ok thanks Steve... If I get the Eureka, the only color that will be the same is the blue face.  The maleri is yellow and the Eureka is red so I may get away with it.. But I may just get something else to... will see.

thanks again

limmer

hamstercaster

thanks Peter, it does help a bit although I only plan on keeping males so no chances of cross breeding for sure.

darkdep

I've mixed a few males of different species together but never with females.  I've only perceived true peace when they looked completely different.