Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

massive platy

Started by plecoL83, November 03, 2007, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plecoL83

When to big als on friday, got 2 new platys to keep my one companie and a pleco. While looking at the platy tanks I could not find a kind thet I liked or was heathly until I came across these guys I got a small male and one female of enormous proportions!!!! She is much larger than a flag fish and aside from my plecos is the largest fish in the tank. (Which isn't saying much) Anyway she's huge pregnant and was a great deal, 1 for the price of 250. just thought I'd share. :D :D ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dr. Ashtray

That is hilarious.  I just brought those platys to Big Als.  The huge one is the mother of the rest of them.  I got mainly males out of the mix because of my low temperature of 77.  If you raise the temperature to 79 you will get more females.  I am glad you like the larger female she is great producer of fry.  I also brought in some f-class endlers with a lot of black in them.  In fact some of them are full tuxedos from the stock i am currently working on.  There are over 100 Wakefiled White Endlers there as well. 

Cheers!!

Jeffrey...

plecoL83

I keep my temp at 78C although I would prefer more females.

KatarinaH

LOL My daughter has a platy that is just about the size of an adult molly. She has two mollies in there with her but thankfully no cross breeding (crosses fingers)

I wanted to ask if they had accidentally put a molly in with the platies but didn't want to seem like a total novice so I kept my trap shut and my daughter bought it. She liked that it was the biggest platy there.

Dr. Ashtray

It is amazing how big they can get!  The higher the temp the more females you will get.  It doesn't really matter all that much with platys because the males and females look so much alike.  Endlers, on the other hand, you need more males of thus the low temperatures for them like 75-77 area. 

Jeffrey...