Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rainbowfish

Started by sas, October 22, 2007, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

I managed a few weeks ago to find 2 female boesemani to hopefully pair up with the 3 mature males I have :). Would have liked to get more but that was all that was available :(. My question is, the females are awfully small, one is two inches and the other maybe an inch and a half, should I grow them out or can they go right in with the males after quarantine?

PaleoFishGirl

Put them right in, they should be fine.  They might even be large enough to start breeding.  If you find they are getting harassed too much by the males (it has been a while since they've seen ladies of that species in that tank!), well, you'll notice - but there are lots of places to hide.

KLKelly

I don't have a tank large enough for boesemani rainbows.  I do know I wouldn't put two females in with three males with my small rainbow species.  They are absolutely relentless and chase the females to the point where the females got ill - there was no letting up.   With my small rainbows I would have three males to five or more females.  Guess we'll find out what the feedback is for boesemani rainbows specifically :) 

sas

Okay great, in they'll go. I think they've got another week and a half in quarantine.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

sas

I thought I'd update this. The 2 females came out of quarantine in great shape and were introduced to the "lads" at the end of last week. Everyone is behaving wonderfully, no harassing whatsoever although as PFG stated there are lots of hidey holes in this tank, especially since it is a touch overgrown at the moment :-[. lol My gardening skills leave a little to be desired, but the fish are happy so.....

beowulf

Sounds good Sue.  A picture or two maybe?  :)