Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

surprize crab

Started by PoisonJello, November 05, 2007, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoisonJello

well i bought some java moss today at a local pet store $1.99, brought it home, tied it to a shell and put it in my 25g...well when I went to turn off my lights tonight i found looking back at me was a small crab about 1.5" in size (not sure what type but i think red or rainbow crab, I think its a freshwater crab or at least it came out of a freshwater tank)
so i have a few questions
what to feed a crab?
what water temp is good? (tank at 78)
Do they need to get out of the water? (like on a little platform)
will it be ok with Rams and Snails?  (blue, gold, and bolivian rams also apple snails)
and i guess is there anything else i should know about crabs  ;)

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

sas

I'm thinking it could be Sesarm bidens or red asian crab?
    This site might get you started badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile101.html
and I'm sure there's more.
All I can say is make sure your tank is completely covered, no gaps even where the filter attaches or the heater is because he will escape through those holes. The other difficulty with them is they do like to climb out onto a beach of sorts.
    They are entertaining little creatures , enjoy and keep him safe :).

Nerine

surprises can be fun :)
they defiantly are escape artists!!! and very enjoyable to watch :) have fun with your new little addition!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

kennyman

If it is an Asian Redclaw they really do need to get out of the water periodically. But mine does spend 90% of her time underwater or sitting in the water with her eyestalks at the surface. I wrote the badmans profile SAS s linked to about two years ago and the methods I describe for keeping this crab have paid off for me. Mine is still alive and well at any rate  ;)

Brackish water made with MARINE salt and a place for them to climb up out of the water. Not for the planted tank either! It will uproot and shred every plant you have in there  8)

zapisto

the best way to ident this crab is to put a pic here

PoisonJello

well to post a picture i need to find it again I think it is in the large shell i have in the tank..at the moment i can't find it, the tank has a top that is basicly sealed only a small space where filter hoses go in and the water is a few inches low at the moment so it shouldn't be able to get out unless it can climb glass

the store sells 2 types of crabs rainbow crab and the other i think was red crab once i find the little guy out in the open i will take a picture

if it needs a platform i will get one the water can stay low since the tank has a canister filter

also i think if it managed to get out of the tank it would be dead on the floor from the fall or my cat would be playing with it  ;D

sas

Quote from: PoisonJello on November 06, 2007, 11:41:51 PM
well to post a picture i need to find it again I think it is in the large shell i have in the tank..at the moment i can't find it, the tank has a top that is basically sealed only a small space where filter hoses go in and the water is a few inches low at the moment so it shouldn't be able to get out unless it can climb glass

lol The small space around the filter holes is enough for the little guy to go through. Trust me I lost mine  :'( and the tank was totally sealed except for one small crack. Take care of him or maybe return him for a store credit.......just a thought :).

PoisonJello

Take care of him or maybe return him for a store credit.......just a thought :).

;D maybe you missed the part that it was a free surprize  ;), anyway got a picture today here it is

[attachment deleted by admin]

kennyman

sure looks like a Redclaw to me. A bit pale looking but the little hooks on the shell and the pattern look right.

Over at http://wrongcrowd.com/staticpages/index.php?page=crab there is a great article about these and it is where I got a good deal of info when I first got my Redclaw. You can tell what sex it is by the shape of the tail. Yes they have a tail and it is tucked up under their belly  :P

Females keep eggs there and I think both of them keep their gills wet by carrying water in their tail when climbing trees and running around on the beach. They come from coastal mangroves near Hong Kong. I really like mine and even my Girlfriend, who doesn't care much for my fishkeeping hobby, think Mrs. Crabtree is pretty cool  8)

PoisonJello

well the crab seems happy so far but mostly stays in the java moss...hopefully it will leave my snails alone...my fish swim right beside it and the crab doesn't even seem interested in them so maybe everyone will get along  ;)
I will have to make or pick up a platform for it to climb up on tomorrow if i have time

kennyman

It can climb straight up so long as it is a 1" dia or greater stick with a rough surface. It also MUST have a cave or rock to burrow under. It has to retreat there. If you don't give it a place to hide you will stress it out. They live in burrows in the mud naturally and must go there when they moult as their shell is soft like skin.

This little critter is going to start chomping up your plants when it gets a bit older. Get ready for that. What can get really annoying is how it will cut off all the leaves of a vallis right at the base, let them float away  and then go find something else to eat. Oh and it likes to gnaw on wood sometimes too :D