Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MSG in fish food

Started by Vizerdrix, November 10, 2007, 08:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizerdrix

I've noticed that all the Hikari fish foods I've purchased have MSG (mono sodium glutamate) as one of the ingredients.  Can anyone tell me WHY?!?  I only saw this after I'd gotten home and opened the package.  Now I read all ingredients, and will no longer buy their foods, even though they are supposedly quite good.

MSG is used in human food as a flavour enhancer, which to me means that sub-standard ingredients are used and that they have to add this to make it taste better.  WHY would it be put in fish food?!?  I try to eat healthy (emphasis on the try) and my pets usually eat even better than me.  Am I going to have to start making all my own fish food?

Julie

Vizerdrix

I would have to say in Japan (or the Orient somewhere) as I don't have any packaging here.  And yes, I know that MSG is a common ingredient there, I just can't figure out why in the world anyone would want to put it in fish food.

squeeker

Making your own fish food is cheap and easy! 

Hikari is generally regarded as one of the best foods (at least for goldfish)... but I don't use it as I make my own.  Never knew it had MSG in it, though...

Mettle

Hikari is a brand that once marketed itself as being "the food that all fish will love/enjoy" or something to that effect... I'm thinking the MSG is probably in there to hook the fish and make them addicted to the Hikari food, always wanting more. Makes sense from what I've heard about Hikari food.

Vizerdrix

Squeeker, what do you use in your homemade goldfish food?  I would be *very* interested!  I actually made my own cat food for a while, until some good types of raw foods were made available.

Mettle, that would make sense.  I find this despicable; it's almost as bad as most of the pet foods out there that contain "digest" which makes the food smell stronger, thus inciting the dog/cat to eat it, even though it's cr*p. 

squeeker

Here's a good gel food recipe.  It is meant for goldfish, which require a high percentage of plant mater vs. animal, but you could alter the ingredients to suit your fish's needs.  This food will sink.

Makes 2 cups of gel food.
Ingredients:
3 packs unflavored Gelatine (sometimes I use 4... depends on how stiff you want it)
2 cups water (dechlorinated)
1/2 can salmon/tuna/shrimp (8oz, look for cans that are low in sodium and other ingredients - you want meat only!)
2.5 ounces frozen green peas, thawed (1/4 of a 10 oz package)
1/3 of a medium carrot, sliced or grated.
1/2 cup broccoli (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1/4 cup white rice cooked
1/4 cup green beans (fresh or frozen, thawed... not canned unless they are low salt)
1 teaspoon paprika (color enhancer)

Add 1 cup water to blender and add salmon, green peas, carrot, broccoli, rice, green beans and paprika. Blend until ingredients are chopped very finely.
Pour blended mixture into a bowl.
Bring water back to a boil and dissolve gelatine. Stir until well mixed.
Add dissolved gelatine to blended ingredients and stir well.
Pour into flat shallow container(s) to make a depth of 1/4".
tap container gently to remove any trapped air bubbles.
Place in refrigerator to set.

Once it's set, it can be cut into cubes and frozen between layers of wax paper.  Just take out the amount you need and thaw in the fridge... it will last in the fridge for a few days before it goes bad.

Variations:
Add metro+ to this food to make medicated food if necessary.  Or, you can add fish flakes/pellets that you have laying around in with the vegetables.

Vizerdrix

Thanks Squeeker!  I'll have to try that out!  I gather I can use fresh/thawed fish in this recipe?  I always prefer using raw ingredients when possible. :)  I'll play around with the recipe.  Sounds really easy to make a massive batch and toss in the deep freeze!

Mettle

Do a Google search. TONS of recipes out there. But Squeekers looks good. And I've seen her fish - they're very nice! So she must be doing something right, haha.

In terms of making a big batch - beware! Most recipes make a ton as is. Or at least that's what I found when I made some for my mom's fish. However, if you plan to keep it in the deep freeze get the proper packaging for it so that it doesn't get freezer burn on you.

I also used organic vegetables to avoid any type of chemicals/waxes on the foods. But then again I do that for myself as well.

Vizerdrix

Yeah Mettle, I try to use organic as often as possible too.  That doesn't mean don't wash the product though.  That organic farm it came from might be right next to a highway or other major road, getting all the exhaust blown onto it's fields.  It's so hard to make healthy decisions nowadays. :(  I'm going to try growing some of my own next spring (if I don't get sick again, that is!).

I did do a search on the net after I saw Squeeker's original message, and found lots of recipes too, but I wanted to know what someone in the group was using, for comparison.

Mettle

When I was choosing my recipe - which I ended up modding in the end anyway - I did some research on recommended diets for the fish and also nutritional value of the items I was putting in. Certain things, while good, can sometimes cause adverse affects in some animals if fed too much, etc. I've learned this in selecting/researching the proper mix of green for my bearded dragon. It has just made me hyper aware of it, I guess.

Another ingredient that I decided to include in my mix was Kent Zoe Freshwater vitamins that I purchased at Big Al's I believe. I can't remember exactly how much I put in, but it wasn't a ton. I just thought it would add to the over all nutrition of the food. Upon rereading the description on the BA's website though it does say that it's "aquaculture grade vitamins" so I don't know if that's great or not - maybe lower quality?  ???  Anyway, check it out if you're looking to add even more to the mix.

Here's a link: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCatalog/ctl3664/cp/si1316511/cl1/kent_zoe_freshwater_vitamin_4_oz

The one thing I learned here from Squeeker is the colour enhancer. That's very cool!

squeeker

Oh, yah, for sure, you can feel free to use fresh or frozen seafood in the recipe.  I use the canned stuff because hubby is allergic, so less chance of cross-contamination  :)

Beware of freezer burn.  This recipe made enough to last 6 months for my fish.  The food is very dense, and more filling than flakes or pellets!

QuoteWhen I was choosing my recipe - which I ended up modding in the end anyway - I did some research on recommended diets for the fish and also nutritional value of the items I was putting in. Certain things, while good, can sometimes cause adverse affects in some animals if fed too much, etc. I've learned this in selecting/researching the proper mix of green for my bearded dragon. It has just made me hyper aware of it, I guess

One such food is spinach, which contains oxalic acid which inhibits calcium adsorption, I believe.  I'm sure there are others.  I just use a variety of veggies to ensure I get a little bit of everything, but not too much of anything!  The recipe I posted was found on a goldfish forum, and one of the members had actually determined the correct proportions and everything to suit goldfish.  I'd imagine it would work well for vegetarian cichlids, as well.

Maybe contact DarkDep?  He used to have a homemade fish food company, and I'm sure he did research on fish nutrition?

QuoteThe one thing I learned here from Squeeker is the colour enhancer. That's very cool!

It's just carotene... like if a baby eats a lot of carrots, their nose will turn orange!  Same principle  :)

QuoteAnother ingredient that I decided to include in my mix was Kent Zoe Freshwater vitamins that I purchased at Big Al's I believe

I didn't know about that.  How are you supposed to use it if you don't make your own food?  In the water column?

I'd be careful about not using too much... not sure which vitamins are present in the mix, or anything about the biology of fish specifically, but you'd want to be careful to not OD on any vitamins (which can be just as dangerous as not enough).