Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cycling a sponge filter

Started by Vizerdrix, November 13, 2007, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizerdrix

Question: How long does it take to cycle a sponge filter in an established tank?

I have a small one (rated for 10g, I think) that I'm cycling right now.  I put it in my 65g yesterday evening.  When will it be "seeded" so I can transfer it to my fry tank?

Thanks!

fishycanuck

Why not cut a piece of an old sponge to put in your new tank? Instant seeding!

BigDaddy

Depends on the bioload in your 65.  A goldfish tank would seed the sponge much more quickly than a tank full of endler's.

I personally leave one in for at least 2 weeks before moving it to the new tank.

Vizerdrix

Fishycanuck, I have *no* other sponge filters running right now. :)  Nor do I use any in my HOB filters.   :D

BigDaddy, yeah, it's in the goldie tank right now, and going into the endler's tank, funny enough. :)  I was curious because on the back of the packaging, it said to leave it in an established aquarium for ONE DAY!  I thought that was a bit quick.

I presently have the endler's fry in a 2.5g with TONS of java moss on the bottom, and lotsa floating plants on the top, and am doing water changes every other day.  Once I get the indoor pond up and running though, all those fry go into the 65g!  Gonna get a nice school of white clouds, too.  Should be pretty! :)

fishycanuck

Too bad.
There are several members in Orleans, perhaps someone would give you an old sponge?

PaleoFishGirl

I think one day would be fine.