Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY CO2 Reactor

Started by fischkopp, November 12, 2007, 11:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

... or how to create these microbubbles CHEAP :)

Well, this has been done several times by a lot of people and info about this is plenty available on the web, but nevertheless I want to show how I did it - an easy way I think.

My main intention was LOW cost but still effective. Thats why I didn't use the standard solution powerhead but modified the motor of an unwanted HOB filter. Yes, these little things are fully sealed and hence submersible, and they are smaller then common powerheads. Not to forget that they are used way cheaper than powerheads at the moment - I got my used TopFIN HOB for like $5. And this was my only expense.

I took the filter appart and kept only two things: the motor and and intake tubing. It was lucky that the tube could be easily glued onto the motor. As reactor chamber serves a plastic bottle with a wide opening to hold the motor- the only one I could find at the time building it was a mouthwash bottle. The bottom half gets cut off. A airline tubing goes thru bottle and intake tubing so that the CO2 gets suck right into the impeller. Everything is glued well together with "Plumbers Choice Adhesive Sealant" (made for plastics, way better than silicone) and the bottom is closed with a leftover sponge. I also glued a suction cup on the motor to stick it easily into the tank.

And this is how the cheapo reactor looks and works like:

[attachment deleted by admin]
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Very slick that is KEWL... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

angelfreak

I agree, great idea. So I had tio build one and it works great

Thanks for the tip
Scott

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Looks good! Glad to see someone found this useful  :) 

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

NetCop

Great job... and to think, the little fishies will now have great smelling breath too!  :D