New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Modifing aquarium stand?

Started by dan2x38, December 19, 2007, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Quote from: RossW on December 30, 2007, 11:14:47 PM
Is there a reason you would not screw and glue both.

No I guess not... that answers that... I think the only reason why not would be laziness...  :-[
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

PoisonJello

if you want it good and strong you should always glue (plan white carpenters wood glue) and of coarse counter sink those screws  :)

I know why you all say don't use MDF but if it is treated or even painted with a few coats of paint, the water can't really get at it (still i know not recomended but cost less), not to mention those cheap store bought stands that are made out of particle board but that is a whole other story  ;D

if you wanted solid wood you could buy pine at home depot that is already joined into wide boards for the top

dan2x38

Got the stand in place and the tank filled. Screwed and glued 3/4" construction grade plywood top & bottom. I had them cut it at Home Depot at no cost. I used 1" pink foam insulation under the tank. Bought a sheet of that with a busted corner for only $4. Changed the fixtures on the door too. Now just need some moulding to trim it up hiding the plywood & foam. Thanks guys it looks darn good plus it is strong.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."