Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

UV STERILIZERS

Started by woodendude, January 06, 2008, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodendude

Hi, I'm looking to hear from people that use UV on their freshwater tanks. I'd like to hear about types used, cost, effectiveness, etc..
I've been doing a bit of reading and am considering purchasing one for the apperent water clarity that comes with using one, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

Heidi

I'd be interested in knowing too - although I would want to hear about both fresh usage and salt tanks usage!!!  Recommended or not....to buy or not to buy....that is the question!!!
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

woodendude

>>>>>> Recommended or not....to buy or not to buy....that is the question!!!

Exactly !!!!!!!

charlie

Hi Derek, i run a coralife turbo twist 9 watt on my 75 gallon planted tank, in terms of the effectiveness, i cant tell you whether if it`s working or not , but i Will say i have not had a outbreak of ick or other outbreak in my tank since using it, regarding the aiding of water clarity, yes it does make a difference ( in my tank at least).One thing to note there is speculation that in a planted tank it oxidizes the iron & some traces & renders it useless, but i have not seen this effect in my tank.
Regards

alexv

I agree with charlie. I run both my tanks with 9W JEBO UV sterilizers. I can't tell its effect on water clarity but it does seem to help control desease. Having said that, make sure you have a unit that allows you to visually control its operation. The model I have is completely sealed off in opaque enclosure and you can't tell if the bulb is working or not. I know that they had changed the housing design since then and now it includes some semi-transparent plastic pieces in inlet/outlet ports so you can see them light up when the bulb is on.
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

dan2x38

I used one constantly never had a disease problem. I shut it down then a couple months after had an ich out break. Connected? Who knows. I use it to clear my tanks and if there is disease. Also to control algae once. I would say they work and nice to have.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

rmicroys

I have a turbo twist on my 125gal planted.  Works great as far as I can tell.  I had issues with algae in the water causing clarity issues, and that's why I got it.  Works wonderful for that.

woodendude

Thanks for the info folks. I'm still reading all I can on them, there's so much to read out there but it all seems good.

Derek

audioslave_36

Hey Derek,

I run 13w UV on all three of my tanks, I swear by them, I have one coralife turbo twist on my 220g, and one JEBO on each of my 120g tanks, and my 220g tank is full of ID sharks which are ich magnets, never had an outbreak in that tank :) So in my opinion they are worth every penny.

Dave