Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Webcam in the tank

Started by Nerine, January 01, 2008, 11:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I have decided to attempt a little project of making an underwater webcam :D it'd be great for getting inside the zamora's cave and observing their activity!! I have a long cord already, the cam is really small, and now I am going to be building an underwater housing for it! Off to Rona...too bad today is a holiday :(

Anyone else make their webcam water safe?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

woodendude

Excellent idea, you'll have to post the footage somewhere for all to see.

NetCop

Stop giving me strange ideas!
My wife will kill me if this keep up!  ;D

Nerine

haha tell me about it ;) my hubby gave me a weird look when I asked where our old webcam was!! It's in the basement somewhere, I have to find it to pull it apart, make a new housing for it and presto! insta fishcam!

I will for sure post footage!!

I got the idea again (it's been kicking around) when I was filming the Zamoras during night activity, (another video I have to post after editing), in tank would be so much cooler :D
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

dan2x38

Sounds like a very interesting project. I think there is an easier way than the link but that is a great design. Remember that USB does carry an electrical current. Also important to use glue for ployethlene silcone will not do. Nerine Custo... :o it has a nice ring to it... like to see the footage.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

yeah their glues are questionable hahaha same with the hair gel container  :o

I would just use old-fashioned silicone...and for the container I have a few ideas kicking around to make a nice little box.

My plan was to get to this last weekend, but I ended up having to work. Tonight I'm going to dig around and see what materials I have at home and then trip to Rona :)

ahhh don't worry :D My dad was an electrician, I've had my fair share of being zapped while changing out wiring haha I used to help him wire houses and we re-wired our house...that is how I got hooked on fishtape! LOL