Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

air bubbles over everything

Started by Darth, January 20, 2008, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

as the topic says, everyday I come home there are little air bubbles over everything, my glass my rocks, any surface they can adhere to.
I have to scrape them off the glass and tap the rocks to loosen them and get rid of them, it's driving me crazy, any clues??

shutterbuggy

Did you change the lighting recently?

Darth

yes I upgraded to 2 2 X24 watt t-5 High Output running 2 blue and 2 white

shutterbuggy

"..."microbubbles" are produced by photosynthesis, and this is especially the case in highly illuminated environments."

When you intensify the amount of light on a system, this tends to happen as the amount of photosynthesis increases.  When I introduced a 400 MH to my tank (previously it was being lit by a couple of HO) everyday these microbubbles would form.  Typically they were at their peak at about 4-5 pm, about half way through my "daylight time."  Eventually they will diminish over time as the tank stabilizes itself under the new lighting.  Here is an article that deals with it (myth #14).

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

HTH

shutterbuggy

Ohh and BTW-- microbubbles are not harmful to reef systems (thats the myth) and are naturally occurring in the reefs all over the world.

Darth

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the help