Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank Plumbing Question

Started by shaka zulu, January 28, 2008, 11:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaka zulu

After many,many months I have finished the stand, hood, found a sump, etc and now need to lay out the plumbing for my 90 Gal reef tank. I've got a couple of 2" bulkheads and snigger drilled a couple of 3" holes for them. I built a couple of overflow boxes to go over the bulkheads and they have teeth cut to 1" down.

I'm looking for ideas on how most people hook them up, etc. Lots of pics would be nice. My bulkheads are threaded inside and out, so I am not sure what elbows I can use.

Basically, I've got an empty 90 Gal on a stand and a 33 Gal sump in the cabinet below. The plan is to section the sump into three areas for skimmer, refugium and return. My space is tight. Any ideas or suggestion would be welcome. I am sure this discussion would benefit a lot of others as well.

Thanks...
125 gallon long
Sump-Refugium-Skimmer
Coast to Coast Overflow
RO/DI water

xenon

The 1st thing I would do is add three acrylic panels in your sump that will act as a bubble trap. Keep yous skimmer on the side that your raw water from your overflow is going.

This is what my setup looks like.

shaka zulu

Thanks so much Xenon... I watched your earlier posting of your 90Gal setup and it gave me a lot of good ideas. My sump will hopefully have 3 sections, but wonder what you used to glue the acrylic to glass? I've heard that silicone just won't hold to the acrylic.
125 gallon long
Sump-Refugium-Skimmer
Coast to Coast Overflow
RO/DI water

angelfreak

In a sump application silicone will work well, apply it to both sides of the acrylic and let it dry, it will hold well to the glass and act as a wedge holding the acrylic in place.