Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

AZ-NO3 (Absolute Zero - Nitrates)

Started by xenon, January 27, 2008, 02:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

percula99

Xenon, if you do regular water changes, I wouldn't stop that practice. It is always good to do them. The RDSB will kick in regardless.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

xenon

Quote from: percula99 on January 31, 2008, 07:43:27 AM
Xenon, if you do regular water changes, I wouldn't stop that practice. It is always good to do them. The RDSB will kick in regardless.

I will definately continue doing weekly water changes but just as a test I will stop doing water changes for 1 month to see if my nitrates drop just by adding a RDSB.

xenon

I think my nitrate is closer to 50ppm than 25ppm.

percula99

I believe it took longer than one month for my RDSB to start showing me lower nitrates. Even though I did regular water changes, at 50-60 ppm my nitrates would only drop slightly, maybe down to 40, and then go back up. Your corals have definitely acclimated to the higher nitrates so it won't kill them to not do water changes for a month. I would recommend not adding new corals until you get the nitrates down however. Anything new won't acclimate as well seeing as they are going straight into a higher nitrate environment.

Your nitrates are definitely above 25, and lower than 50. Somewhere in between I would guess. Good luck with the battle.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..