Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Worm??

Started by limmer, February 10, 2008, 09:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limmer

Hey,
I pulled this out of my Nano tank.
Is it a bristle worm or a fire worm?
Should I just let it die a slow death in the container?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Heidi

Looks like a bristle worm - supposed to hurt like heck if they touch you. They are actually good in your tank so you can put him back in...or if you don't like him - do away with him. They do not harm anything as far as I know.. I have them in some tanks but not others.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Faerin

Yup, that's a bristle worm. They do sting a little if you touch them but they're a great addition to your cleanup crew.

xenon

Small ones like those are great but when they grow to be 6-12" they sure are scary!  ;D

Shrimpy

Quote from: xenon on February 10, 2008, 10:55:27 PM
Small ones like those are great but when they grow to be 6-12" they sure are scary!  ;D

I've got close to 100 at least in my nano. They breed like crazy.  :D They're harmless.

gvv

I would not worry much as this is normal guest in SW tank.

When you think that you have a lot of them it is the first sign that you may overfeed...
When they have a lot of food they breed like crazy, but as soon as there is not enough food to sustain their huge population it declines. At least from my experience.

Regards

kennyman

From what I have read fireworms can be identified by bristles being more in clusters or tufts like the needles of a larch tree. As opposed to bristle worms that have bristles out the sides more like a centipede's legs.

limmer

Thanks, I wasn't sure because it was out during the day.
Not sure if I will put it back as I sometimes stick my hand in the tank.

kennyman

I'm sure there is more where that one came from  ;)