Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Today I become an adult!!! :p

Started by Sailfin, March 15, 2005, 09:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailfin

328iGuy

You become an "Adult" because?  :?

Sailfin

328iGuy

Quote from: "Sailfin"I hit 50 messages!    *L*

HA!.....

Keep going......I just hit 700 the other way..woooho!  :shock:

luvfishies

dannypd

Quote from: "328iGuy"

HA!.....

700 msgs = 3-5 minutes each message = 3500 minutes (est) = ~58 hours...

That's almost 60 hours of your life spend replying to posts....

...and that's NOT including reading  :shock:

dandaman

cool lol im coming close to 500~
80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

328iGuy

Quote from: "dannypd"
Quote from: "328iGuy"

HA!.....

700 msgs = 3-5 minutes each message = 3500 minutes (est) = ~58 hours...

That's almost 60 hours of your life spend replying to posts....

...and that's NOT including reading  :shock:

Never takes 3-5 minutes for a response once you are all practiced up.  :lol:

BigDaddy

See... I'm in the opposite camp.  I hate post counts in forums.  As a moderator in other forums, I can tell you it has to negative side effects

1)  Some people will post whenever and wherever possible in an attempt to increase their post count, feeling that there is some status in having a large number of posts.  This leads to a bunch of useless content that just ends up bloating the database.

2)  EVEN WORSE - New members to the forum look at the post count and assume (sometimes incorrectly) that the person in question MUST be an expert because of his high post count.

I liked the setup we used to have.  As a moderator, if you were a regular poster, you got your "title" (the name under your avatar) assigned by me or another moderator.  It was personalized and it was a nice touch to thank people that had contributed to the forum.

328iGuy

Quote from: "BigDaddy"See... I'm in the opposite camp.  I hate post counts in forums.  As a moderator in other forums, I can tell you it has to negative side effects

1)  Some people will post whenever and wherever possible in an attempt to increase their post count, feeling that there is some status in having a large number of posts.  This leads to a bunch of useless content that just ends up bloating the database.

2)  EVEN WORSE - New members to the forum look at the post count and assume (sometimes incorrectly) that the person in question MUST be an expert because of his high post count.

I liked the setup we used to have.  As a moderator, if you were a regular poster, you got your "title" (the name under your avatar) assigned by me or another moderator.  It was personalized and it was a nice touch to thank people that had contributed to the forum.

I agree with these statements as well.  As high post count kind of guy on other forums as well, I try to post meaningful posts, but I do know for sure people that post one word posts, or just images etc.... to get their post count up.

Marc

I agree with BigDaddy as well... I wonder if there's some way to turn off those counts ....

328iGuy

Quote from: "Marc"I agree with BigDaddy as well... I wonder if there's some way to turn off those counts ....

I am sure there is in phpBB, I will take a look.

We can just go on our status instead of post cousnts, such as "Spawning Adult" etc....  :P

dannypd

Quote from: "Marc"I agree with BigDaddy as well... I wonder if there's some way to turn off those counts ....[/quote

You can in phpBB, 100% confident.  I'll look up my db and see where I switch it.

I do not have post counts either, instead I use a "PPW/PR" equation for the user title.

For example, if you post 10 msg, and replies follow, your ratio goes up.  Else, you post 10 msgs and no one replies once, your ratio goes down.  Moderators do not get a ratio.