Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone here have a pistol shrimp?

Started by xenon, February 08, 2008, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

bhotep

Amazing video. So does this mean they are not reef safe?

pwrca

Had seen that video clip before; which is extremely well done.  I recently purchased some permint shrimp which I'm sure were just a buffet for "Jacques" my Pistol-shrimp.  3 shrimp for $25, makes expensive food for Jacques but he does have discriminating taste... ;D

pwrca

Quote from: bhotep on February 08, 2008, 12:05:16 PM
Amazing video. So does this mean they are not reef safe?

Actually, they are reef safe.  Spend most of their time hiding but, as far as shrimp go, they are actually quite attractive.  The tend to burrow in the substrate and you can hear them fire, a distinct snapping sound.  Paired well with watchman goby.

gvv

Let's put this way: I have 2 cleaners, 1 coral banded, 2 perpemint, 2 anemone shrimps and unknown number of hermits and never saw my pistol hunting...
Yes, as soon as somebody is approaching pistol shrimp's hole, it starts making this clicking sound with the claws, but only until the entruder is insight :)

But who knows, I may assume that there could be reef-safe and "not so much safe" species, while in the trade we have the first group usually.

Regards

beertech

I've never seen mine attack anything, but I've noticed quite a few empty snail shells around his caves.  I hear him snapping at night, but any time I peek under the tank with a flashlight, he just seems to be breaking up rubble to build with.  I'm sure he has to be eating something though....... ???

shutterbuggy

Mine has taken out 3 Cleaner shrimp.  When I tell people this they don't really believe it, so I began to think that there was something else taking out my shrimp.  Like a rouge hitchhiking crab or something.  That was until I saw the pistol shrimp go after a cleaner myself! 

kennyman

I have been doing my darnedest to catch one that stole away in a frag I bought from marinescape  :-\

pwrca

Well my cleaner shrimp has survived and was there before I got the Pistol, so here's hoping things stay that way.  But, something sure as hell cleaned up the Pepermint shrimp in a hurry (damn Jacques)  ;D  This may just explain the empty snail shells though; again I guess just another buffet item for Jacques. 

sniggir

I never had any problem with my pistol, and will get anotheer for sure.. I think they are too cool my self
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

redbelly

I have a tiger pistol shrimp in my tank and it has never been a problem with me cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp.

I think they are just awsome to watch especially when they are paired up with a goby.

Terry

Reef safe is a relative concept.  I got tired of mine rearranging my rock work (no, the rock work does not sit on the glass bottom which I agree would deal with that problem) and sand bed, so I moved him on.  I was amazed at just how big a rock he/she could move. Nor did it EVER stop digging. It never bothered my blood shrimp, may have been eating snails (amazing the number of empty shells and bits of rubble I found in his lair).  But I have noticed a huge increase in my copepod and similar small creature population since I moved it and the goby on.  I had been blaming my orchid dottyback but now suspect the shrimp. 

Terry
Terry