Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

feeding corals

Started by Blackstitch, February 10, 2008, 09:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackstitch

I just got a polyps and a bubble coral. I was wondering what the best thing to feed them would be. The polyps 0147

groan

ive been researching feeding corals too as i just got a brain coral that aparently would benefit from direct feeding. I'll be watching this thread too.
from what ive read, at least for brains, you can feed it mysis or other larger meaty foods. Not sure about bubble (i have one of those too) but i see thier tube-like mouths so was thinking direct feeding of crushed flake or cyclopeze powder would work best.

i'd wait to hear what themore experienced crew say though

sniggir

when, I spot feed I, use a combo of mysis, Krill, brine shrimp, rotifers, and some pellets.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Blackstitch

How am I supposed to spot feed the polyps when I have a cleaner shrimp that gets in the way when I try to feed the coral?

xenon

Quote from: Blackstitch on February 10, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
How am I supposed to spot feed the polyps when I have a cleaner shrimp that gets in the way when I try to feed the coral?

Reef-roids is another great option.

You can use a large glass or clear class bowl to keep the theives away. :)

This is how I was able to feed my sun coral.

Julie

I fed frozen cyclopeeze to the entire tank.

groan

do you generally turn off the power heads when you feed?
i would think you would need to as the food would just blow away otherwise, but just checking for method.

xenon

I turn off all pumps when I feed.

If the food drops too far down you are overfeeding. The fish should be able to consume all the food before it has a chance to hit the bottom of your tank.

groan

Quote from: xenon on February 10, 2008, 10:54:23 PM
I turn off all pumps when I feed.

If the food drops too far down you are overfeeding. The fish should be able to consume all the food before it has a chance to hit the bottom of your tank.

And for the corals? do you cover when feeding?

sniggir

if you have pesky... shrimp or fish some tome covering them works when I feed my sun polyps that is what i do for the rest when I spot feed I shut off the pumps and use a turkey baster.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

kennyman

I only target feed two corals about once a month. It seems most of my stony corals are either slime feeders or only take nano plankton. If I want to give them a treat I run my tongs gently through the sandbed. The two I target feed are an Octospawn(euphyllia) and plate coral. Each of those get a few small pieces of frozen smelt about once a month. I feed it on a tong and allow them to pull the food off themselves. I also spot feed my Nassarius snails at the same time. This is done at night after the main light has shut off. As for polyps, they can catch food when the fish are feeding. I find They don't need any special treatment  8)

groan

someone mentioned using pellets on my open brain coral.
I have toNES of NLS loeft from my cichlid days. can i use this? im finding the shrimp and or flake dosnt stay very well, even with the PH's off.

sniggir

if you read the NLS containers for the cichlid and then for their marine they are the same.
I have been spot feeding my acan's and some other LPS with this and had no issues, including my Favia