Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

perc question

Started by artw, February 28, 2008, 08:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

I recently had a perc depart,  so I am left with just one and he/she is very upset (he never leaves his rock)
is it possible to introduce another perc and have them not kill each other and/or become a pair again? my 2 never left eachother's side (it was sooo cute)

whats the best thing to do with just one perk in the tank?

kennyman

Get the smallest one you can. The one you have now is either the female or it will become the female with the addition of a littler one.

I'm on my third friend for nemo. They have bonded every time but the 1st one got sucked up in a ph and the other got chased out of the tank by that evil dwarf angel I had.  Getting a small one has worked for me every time.

groan

:( art.

i'd put a larger cage arount the PH if you can. especially if you are getting a tiny one.

hope it works out.

KLKelly

Just an FYI we had the beat up Occelaris in a breeder box for almost two weeks recovering and they seem to be getting along these past two days.  I wonder if keeping one contained minimized the aggression for some reason?  Getting one that is a lot smaller than your existing one would be amazing. Hopefully it will survive and they pair.  Not sure if percs behave the same as occelaris either ???

Our occelaris are quite small.  I haven't heard of ph accidents.  They don't seem to stay close.  Can you guys explain what to watch out for and why you modify the caging?  Is this only on huge tanks with monster powerheads?

gvv

not sure if they will behave the same way, but I can tell only about ocellaris.
I had a pair and than added the 3rd one, as the person was trying to get rid of it. Needless to say they were all adults. For few days there were trying to figure out new hierarchy. After a week they figured it out and since that day they always together.

But the main rule is as kennyman mentioned, always try to get new one smaller that the existing one - less chances they will try to check who is the boss, as it is is obvious.

Regards