Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Torch Burn?

Started by groupie02, February 22, 2008, 12:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groupie02

I noticed yesterday that some of my polyps had strange injuries which I had never seen before. Could it be caused by the nearby torch?  I've often seen some of the torch's tentacles stuck in the polyps but I've never seen any marks on the polyps.

As anyone seen something like this?

If I did this right, you should be able to click on the pictures to see the full size versions.

beertech

Yep,
It's definitly been stung.  You should keep all corals out of reach of any type of euphylia. 

groupie02

thanks. They both used to be really small. Only a few polyps and the torch was much smaller.  The euphylia will be moved to a better spot.

Heidi

Be careful - they can really reach far - tentacles can really stretch!!!!  They are one of the nicest coral pieces out there in my opinion but they can pack a punch to other corals. 
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Rudall

Hey..., I recognize those!!  I let mine duke it out with the neighbors.
Rick

Vallely4

Ive also seen this happen to close-by polyps.. burns only seem to appear afterwords -all seems to heal though

Im surprised hermits aren't affect by the sting!!  ive watched my hermits wander face first on rock with tentacles in their face

I saw on one website they said the sting of a Torch coral "Can cause great pain, to even a large human".  Is this true? ...I know i've accidently bumped against my torch while aquascaping in the tank, with absolutely to adverse reaction
Do you guys handle with gloves?

pwrca

First off, I'd like to compliment you on the clarity of the pictue.  Yes, torches pack a punch and can damage other corals within reach; their tentacle can really extend.  As for, injuring humans, I don't know but would expect a large enough colony probably could, just my guess.  At the Calfo presentation, the topic of using gloves while working in our tanks came up.  Calfo, recommended that gloves should always be worn, and sited a person experienc where he had experienced symptoms from have had handled a specific type polyp, which I can't remember the name.  In any case wearing gloves is recommended and always washing your hands before and after working in your tank.

FishPassion

Trust me wear gloves!!!!!!!   

I spoke to Anthony Calfo after his presentation and asked about my situation. I have lost my sense of taste (literally lol) since the end of Oct. and discussed at length with Anthony the effects of different Nero Toxins associated with Sw.
After taking copies of nero toxology reports and there effects to my doctor he had informed me a week later after doing his own research that most likely I had been poisoned from something in my tank and am now taking the meds and PRECAUTIONS to recoup from this. Its been 4 mths now and I am very slowly beginning to taste things again, I could have been eating a Steak for supper but it may as well have been cardboard. Guess what I am not as haphazard as I used to be and use gloves as my other alternative was "get rid of your tanks"!!!!

Those were palytoxins that he was affected by mostly associated with polyps and will poison you for 24hrs, I know of another reefer in Montreal that also has been poisoned by the same palytoxin with the same 24 hr result loss of taste...
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube