Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Making Discus food?

Started by aidensmomma2000, February 07, 2004, 07:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

I bought some discus from local gent (he was switching to salt water) and he was kind enough to give me tons of frozen beefheart, that he bought from the butcher (ground himself). Its great and surely less expensive then the pet store (I have 14 juveniles to feed!) but the stuff has fat in it, and the fat floats around int he water after the meat has been eaten (tiny chunks,but lots of them).

Does anyone have a good idea for discus food you "make" youself? I though this gents idea was great, except for the fat in the water.

:?:  :?:  :?:

Julie

Here is a recipe from xxxx Au's Back to Nature Guide:

4 parts beef or turkey heart
1 part green shrimp (raw and shelled)
1 part frozen spinach
a few drops of infant liquid vitamins

Remove all fat and ligaments from beef heart.(very important)
Cut into 1" chunks.  Grind into a coarse paste in food processor.
Add remainder of ingredients.  Continue grinding until it is in a sandy paste.  Flatten on a cookie sheet and freeze - break into pieces.

Serve with a side salad - enjoy.

aidensmomma2000

So I can buy beef/turkey heart from the butcher without the fat? Its just the fat polluting my tank that is a pain!!

Julie

I don't think you can buy it without the fat - I suppose you could make a special request from the butcher but they would probably charge extra.  Also it is important to remove it because it can cause a blockage in the Discus intestine.

aidensmomma2000

Yeah, I can see that. They dont *ssem* to eat it,  but they just might one day =P