New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The aquarium rose

Started by charlie, March 11, 2008, 07:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Thought i`ll share this picture of my under water rose  ;), Rotala Macandra

[attachment deleted by admin]

apuppet

so pretty, uhm.. in a mannly way!
planted

dan2x38

Charlie that is an amazing picture & plant. I didn't know it did that. Can't wait to see your tanks.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Sharbuckle

BigDaddy

My R. wallichii does it a few hours before lights out every day.  But it isn't just the Rotala that will do it.  I'm pretty sure my Mayaca does too.  Heck, I think even Sunset Hygro did it when I still had it in the tank.

jrs

Very nice.  I haven't had a chance to try macandra yet.  I hear that it is finicky about nitrate levels.

BigDaddy

Kats

Ya....  I killed 2 batches of macrandra so far!  BUT I am not quitting...  I'll try until it becomes a rose too!  Very cool Charlie!!!  You have a "watered green thumb"!!  It's very pretty!

BigDaddy

I warned ya Kats.. you should send it my way before the last of it dies off   ;)

fischkopp

another lovely plant: the lotus rose :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Jeff1192

I'm having decent luck with it so far. However once it gets to about 20" tall or so the bottom leaves die and slowly start to fall off....but the top half looks great. So I may move it to more of a midground location in my tank and just keep trimming the top off as the bottom gets ugly and replanting the nice top.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Kats

Quote from: BigDaddy on March 11, 2008, 09:17:04 PM
I warned ya Kats.. you should send it my way before the last of it dies off   ;)

Sorry BigDaddy!!  It's all gone now.... my timing sucked too because I got the macandra then a few days later, I had to black out my tank so you can imagine the results.... the macandra litterally evaporated, there was nothing but a few rotten strings when I opened up my tank again.

I am warned now... and I'll listen better (I think  ::)) so next time I get a batch... I'll save a bit for you.... sounds like a plan?

I love that picture Charlie!!!

I'm curious though, why all the bubbles?  Is that the CO2 stuff or something else?

BigDaddy

That's oxygen being produced by the plant.

We call it "pearling"