Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Another quick SW question

Started by Ormarr, March 04, 2008, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

I have a bit of trouble understand the drain/return part of a sump (well, not really, but I have a question about it).

Say you have a 1000gph pump feeding your return line back to the tank, is gravity alone sufficient for draining enough water to your sump or is it necessary to throttle back your return pump?

I'm just thinking a big pump might make your sump run dry...

Or is it common practice to have a pump inside your tank feeding the drain line??

Any clarification on this is appreciated.

redbelly

Your overflows should be designed to handle all of the water thatyour return pump provides.
Actually one overflow should be able to handle all of the water from your return pump and the second one should be a redundency incase the first gets clogged..

what size/design overflow are you using?

Ormarr

None at the moment.  I'm considering getting a pre-drilled 90g which has 2 holes (1 for drain and 1 for return, holes are on the back glass).  What would be my best option?

sniggir

ifyou do decide to get the predrilled make sure that it is a 2.5 inch or 65 mm hole.. or rather will fit a 1.5 inch bulk head that way for your drain you can ve sure it will be able to handle the flow..... I would still request 2 drains but completely up to you.... and your floor....
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!