Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new bta

Started by char0434, March 03, 2008, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

char0434

my bta moved into a corner after i added him to my tank, im not sure if hes getting enough light? he also seems to open and close randomly? could this be a sign of water quality or just a dumb bta?

Thanks adam

Zoe

What kind of light do you have? What size tank, how is it stocked, what do you feed and how often? What are your nitrates?
If he purposely went into a darker corner, let him; he knows what he's doing. He'll move if he needs light.

char0434

lighting is good, i heard that the bta can live with just light, but i do feed brine and rotifers. ok... thanks for getting back to me so quick! :) so basically just let him be:)

xenon

We can't give you advice unless we know the size of your tank, exact lighting specs and water parameters.

Zoe

Quote from: char0434 on March 03, 2008, 01:02:34 PM
lighting is good, i heard that the bta can live with just light, but i do feed brine and rotifers. ok... thanks for getting back to me so quick! :) so basically just let him be:)

Define "good".  Good to you might not be good to your BTA. Do you have compact fluorescents?  LEDs? Metal Halides? T5/HO/VHO?

I said let him be for lighting, but this is assuming that you do have adequate lights and that he's generally in a health, appropriate tank. 

Cheebs

I agree.  Although  it's normal for your BTA to move around and and change sizes very often when it's getting used to your tank, you want to make sure that your tank is fit for it in the first place.  They aren't the MOST light demanding creatures, but without a good amount of light he'll be moving around all over the place until the inevitable happens.

Otherwise, as long as your water conditions and lighting are in fact good to go,  it's completely normal for it to act a bit strange.  Just make sure it doesn't get near any pumps or powerheads, or it'll get pulverized.  One thing you can do is place something over your powerhead intakes, like pantyhose or something similar tat won't impede the flow too much while your BTA settles in.

Cheers.

gvv

Not sure if the light is a problem, but definitely without knowing how much light is over the tank it is impossible to say anything. From my experience BTA can be fine in middle/high light conditions, but need to have good water parameters, as well a flow. It will continue looking for good spot, but if it will be unable to find any and will move all over the tank, it will sooner or later die, ether in pump intake, or just because it gets exhausted.
Check your water and never try to move it by yourself. If you have clowns that feed it and take of it, it will be great.

Good luck

char0434

ok 2 65watt compact, 2 48" T5. nitrate =0 nitrite= 0 ammonia=0 ph=8.3
So i think everything is ok?

char0434

He is not moving aroun just backed himself into a corner...

AdamN

Your lighting is more than enough, and your water is probably ok by those tests. BTA's do move around and act odd at times, just keep an eye on him, he is probably fine. Watch the powerheads though if he is wandering.

char0434