Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting Question ...

Started by warr0088, February 20, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

So I think i've narrowed my scope down a little bit for lighting over a 20gal aquarium (standard size).  I was looking at a MH fixture that buzzard has for sale, but it is a 250w system ... is that too high wattage for a 20gal?  Should I go with the T5 system from Sundial?  Or this ebay product I found?

Any advice on these lights would be awesome!

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/3012/Sundial-T5HO-24%22/

http://cgi.ebay.ca/24-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ330211811377QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=25087.0

sniggir

wel my self... I find that I can never get anough light..... ::)... if you were to go with that set up you would be fine for sure.. make sure you keep it 1 foot abovethe tank... and use a hi K bulb like a 20k XM or a 22K geisman.. your tank will look great for sure... again though just me I have duel 400w MH with 3 39w T5's over my 65... and plan on 4 250w with 4 54w T5 to go over my 120... so it is up to you for sure... I like both T5 and MH but lean towards MH
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

warr0088

So would you reccommend the ebay one or the one for sale here on ovas?  I noticed the Ebay one doesn't have any fan or moonlights .... not sure about the quality there ....

warr0088

Another question, 150w MH or 250w MH?  Big difference? Overkill with a 250w?

Thanks for the replies!

warr0088

So i've cvompletely switched gears and am now looking for a T5 set-up, and was wondering if I could get away without individual reflectors ... it is afterall a 20gal regular tank .... anyone tried this?  A Tek fixture is just too expensive ($300 w/o bulbs) and I have read that without individual reflectors you are wasting your money ... true story?

I am leaning this route mainly because MH bulbs will produce too much heat and this tank is going into my bedroom, which isn't very big, I don't want to cook myself, as well as get into chillers / fans!

What do people think of the Current USA Nova Extreme's? 

Thanks!

warr0088

Also still contemplating the 24" Sundial unit .... anyone else have experience with those?  The price is sooo good I'm really leaning towards it, although I've heard some pretty bad reviews when they first came out on the market ....

Thanks!

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/3012/Sundial-T5HO-24%22/

Vallely4

Quote from: warr0088 on February 25, 2008, 01:45:49 PM
So i've cvompletely switched gears and am now looking for a T5 set-up, and was wondering if I could get away without individual reflectors ... it is afterall a 20gal regular tank .... anyone tried this?  A Tek fixture is just too expensive ($300 w/o bulbs) and I have read that without individual reflectors you are wasting your money ... true story?

I am leaning this route mainly because MH bulbs will produce too much heat and this tank is going into my bedroom, which isn't very big, I don't want to cook myself, as well as get into chillers / fans!

So first to get with the MH part, overheating shouldn't be any problem. I think I've showed you the fixture/pendant I have, and its got no fans... In my tiny bedroom, and evaporation doesn't seem too drastic from what ive seen compared to PC lights(and the temporary PClights I had before MH). And it definatly won't COOK your room... no worries. On the other hand if you went with 250w -That might cook your room up on a hot summer day. And top ups may get plentifulexpensive if your just buying culligan :-X
MH bulbs are no doubt hot to the touch, and the fixture will get hot, but don't think your bedroom will turn into a sauna :D
I think ive read that its a myth -heat produced by the bulb is related to howmuch wattage. MH is only perceived as hotter becase the heat is concentrated in one smaller bulb, not a not a long tube like T5.

Now T5 I think a few people go without individual reflectors, people on this board too, over nano's like 15-20gals. Of course best to get individual reflectors... Over a 20g tank it'll work though. Reflectors probably have real difference in a 20"+ deep tank though

Sundial units, I have nothing to say about -you've probably read the same few reviews I have I bet

and Just my opinion...
Again, good luck! ;)

warr0088

lol, throwing another barrier into my decision are we?  So, maybe I should be going MH if it won't require fans and won't heat up my room?

can anyone else confirm that?  If I just go with a 150watt bulb that is, it won't require chillers / fans and wont really heat up that much?

Thanks so much everyone, you've been a big help!

sniggir

running small PC fans is always a good Idea... I would say that T5's are not a bad choice even though I do prefer MH... but you real should get a reflector.. well for both of them.. the inividuals are the way to go for T5... other wise you realy are kind of waisting them.. that being said they are still great.. I would go for a 175 min.. better bulb choices.. personaly I like the reflux 12k... or the xm 20k or as I have just seen the geismann 22k... but that last one is realy $$$.

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

warr0088

So I purchased a sunpod 150w MH, includes lunar lights and a fan, so I hope this works well for me.... I will most likely have to keep lower level light stuff on the outsides of the tank, time will tell I suppose.

Thanks everyone for commenting! 

sniggir