Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Puffer

Started by char0434, March 15, 2008, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

char0434

Hey!
I resently started up my 55 gal sw tank, i have approx. 50 pounds of liverock now. I do have a few soft corals (zoo's, duncans, a ric) and a BTA, i currently have 18 blue legs, 2 reds, and 14 assorted snails now. As for fish, i have 2 clowns, one red tail damsel, dragon goby, false manderine goby.
Heres the thing... I really really want to get a puffer more specifically a stars and stipes pufferr. I have read up on them and know that the size of the tank is a littel small but ok. Also it may decide to eat my snails and hermits, bta, and some say small corals. I have seen information about this puffer change site to site. So im thinking he would be ok in my tank...
but i dont want him eating my corals... or bta(who would be a meal for sure). Does any one know if he would rally ea them... what do i use as a clean up crew???? Anyone know much about these puffers?? If he does eat soft coral... ill will try to remove them and start a 5 gal reef or 10 gal reef or maybe a 15 gal reef LOL! what do i need for reef only  tank... well maybe ill throw the damsel in there He is a jerk. how do i remove the coral? ie. a ric froma rock??? i know theres alot here but at this point anything helps :)

Adam

Steve_2

I would not do it. They get large and your tank is a bit too small.

They are aggressive and will nip at your other fish until it gets bigger....THEN it might EAT your other fish.  :o

Also, it will likely pick at all your corals and it will for sure eat your inverts. They need to eat inverts to wear down their ever-growing "teeth".

Vallely4

Not to mention puffers are messy little fish...

Your going to want way over filtration on the tank too, I've myself had experience with a tinytiny 'toby' puffer and even he was the messiest thing i'd ever seen eat. The only coral you might be able to get away with in a tank with a puffer i'd think might be mushrooms. They reputedly taste bad to fish