Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How long do you run your lights for?

Started by AdamN, March 16, 2008, 07:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamN

I was running my daylights for 8 hours and my actinics for 10. Although my coral has been growing like its on steroids for the past year, I knocked it down to 6 hours daylights and 7 hours actinic due to bacteria/algae growth. I think I will leave it at 6/7 hours permanently now.

How long do you run yours?

groan

im the same s you Adam, except my long cycle was much longer, almost 12 hours on.
down to approx 6 hrs now due to algae problems.

Darth

I run my actinics for 11 hours, and my daylights for 7, and my moonlights for 6

sniggir

I run my attinic for 12, one of my 400w MH for 8 and the other for 8 and the overlape each other for 4 hours
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

percula99

I run mine longer than you do.  8) My actinics are on 14 hours, and my MH are on 8 hours. That's more than enough for good coral growth. If you run yours even less and have good growth, that's great. If you are having lots of algae growth, check your phosphates. Algae needs phosphates to grow, not just light.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

SuperT

10 hours total (1/2 hr each side actinics only).

Terry

AdamN

wow, alot of long cycles here! ... as for my phosphates, nitrates and all that, its been done, checked, 80% W/C all that stuff. My water is not the problem.

redbelly

How old are your bulbs?
And what type?

Which phosphate test kit are you using?

AdamN

Using API and its worked well for me. My bulbs are about a month old, all Geissmann. I replaced them because of the cyano problems I was having, but so far, no effect. Well I should not say that, for a few weeks things were looking up, then one day ... bam! it was back in full force.