Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cherry Shrimp Breading

Started by donkey_mittens, July 16, 2011, 11:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey_mittens

I am new to breeding cherry shrimp,  I have my shrimp in a 20g tank and when I look inside I see SUPER small white specs moving in the tank is that the fry?  

If so how long does it take them to get to look like shrimp, I have hundreds of them in there.

I would add a picture but i think they are to small to capture but if need be I will try.

Added a picture not the greatest but that's the best one i got

bergenm

No, those are ostracods - common in all tanks but more apparent in shrimp tank due to lack of predators... cherry shrimplets are identical to their parents - just about 1/20 of their size.
Michael

drboeing

Hi Donkey, hard to tell from the picture, but Id be suprised if you could even get a picture of them when they are teeny, either way, they grow pretty quickly, did you notice if you had any shrimp bearing eggs?  Once they start breeding, look, out, youll have a shrimp farm!

litchic

Agreed- I got a rogue cherry shrimp from the OVAS auction last March. Must have had an egg sac, since I found another 20 when I moved the tank a few weeks ago! From my experience it seems the fry survive pretty well, so long as you provide a lot of hiding. I have 90g and no filter sponge, but maybe that's needed for a smaller tank? Good luck!