New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Carbon and/or chem filtration in planted tanks?

Started by dan2x38, June 13, 2008, 01:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

With a recent concern about water conditioner build-up and the detoxed by-products I've re-thought my no carbon filtering. In my breeder & invert tanks I've added carbon.

Many times I read that carbon or chemical filtering removes added plant ferts. How much truth is there to this? I have also read several articles saying the affect is minimal if at all on the plants. The other concern about chemical filtering is the carbon or other media leaching back the absorbed impurities and/or substances. Is this true if so how fast before it starts to release absorbed substances? When should the chemical filtering media be changed to be safe? If plant ferts are absorbed could they be leached back causing algae blooms?

Just wondering if I should start using carbon in my planted display tanks? Where is a good place to get some good active carbon for a reasonable price?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

If you decide you want to add it to your tanks, the bigger the jar, the more cost effective it is.

Why are you thinking of adding carbon?

dan2x38

Quote from: Fishnut on June 13, 2008, 08:56:50 PM
If you decide you want to add it to your tanks, the bigger the jar, the more cost effective it is.

Why are you thinking of adding carbon?

Check my thread on, "Water Dechlorinator Build-up?"
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

BigDaddy

Quote from: dan2x38 on June 13, 2008, 01:09:04 PM... The other concern about chemical filtering is the carbon or other media leaching back the absorbed impurities and/or substances. Is this true if so how fast before it starts to release absorbed substances? When should the chemical filtering media be changed to be safe? If plant ferts are absorbed could they be leached back causing algae blooms?...

One quick correction dan:

Activatated carbon doesn't absorb anything.  It adsorbs.  The type and quality of the activated carbon will affect its adsorption rate but not necessarily the rate/threshold at which it would leech back materials it had adsorbed (could someone correct me if I am wrong in thinking this is a product of London forces?)

Back to your original question though, activated carbon is more effective at removing organics than inorganics.  Since the processes you are talking about are inorganic, I don't think carbon is an effective solution.

If you are performing regular waterchanges and dosing your conditioners at recommended levels, I honestly can't see how you'd get any kind of buildups that would be harmful to fish or inverts.