Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Filters

Started by mark_ally, June 28, 2008, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_ally

Hello,
We just purchased a 60 gallon fresh water tank. We were wondering if someone would know whether we are better to buy a filter suited for a 60 gallon aquarium or if we can purchase two smaller capacity ones to do the job? We tried searching online for answers but came up with a lot of mixed answers. Any help would be appreciated!

Brine

It really depends on what you plan to keep. Some fish exert much more bioload on the filter. In general more filtration is better. If you run more than one filter you can alternate cleaning thereby ensuring that the bacterial colony stays active.

kennyman

I totally agree with Brine that being able to alternate cleaning between two filters is better than one. But I would also suggest that dropping the cash on one decent canister is better than two HOB's.

beowulf

Quote from: kennyman on June 29, 2008, 10:15:51 AM
I totally agree with Brine that being able to alternate cleaning between two filters is better than one. But I would also suggest that dropping the cash on one decent canister is better than two HOB's.

I think if you can get a decent smaller used canister and a HOB you can get the best of both worlds and can keep costs down if you have a limited budget.

William A

If you can afford it get an Eheim 2215 cannister and it will save you all kinds of headaches and only needs cleaning once every three to six months. Of you use easy balance then you won't have as many water changes either. Good luck you will figure it out. Bill