Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

black mould outbreak under canopy of hood. how to fix?

Started by apuppet, July 16, 2008, 11:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apuppet

Hey hey hey,

so, while feeding my fishy, i've raise the lid of the canopy as always, to expose the underside of the cover and notice lots of black mould , it was always there, but they seem to be more and growing more. 

i do admit, that there is high humidity inside the tank, hence, the mould buildup.  its a DYI custom hood, with lots of moisture during the morning , before the lights go on. but after the lights stays on for a few hours, its gets very hot and dry inside, so, its not humid all the time inside the canopy.   

is there anytihng i can spray at it to remove it without killing my fish ( fishsafe ).   else, im gonna have to remove the entire hood and wash it out with javex.  any ideas.

(another thing, most canopy are black, hence hiding the black mould , i've only see them since its white paint i've used.  should other poeple be worried too?)

thanks,
planted

presto

Wash it with javex, I am unaware of any spray that will kill it that isn't harmful to people or fish.

Quote(another thing, most canopy are black, hence hiding the black mould , i've only see them since its white plant i've used.  should other poeple be worried too?)

What do you mean by White Plant?

I've been really sick from mold before, so any mold I find I get rid of ASAP.

apuppet

planted

Nerine

black mold is highly toxic...and any mold killer contains bleach just in different concentrated amounts. For sure wash it out and let some sunshine hit it too to be on the safe side!! (if we ever get any more sun haha)

Good luck!!! and I hope you don't get this mold again!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Can use vinegar but it may come back. BUT bleach will kill it quickly then rinse, rinse, and rinse some more.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."