Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Painting tank background

Started by james, February 14, 2004, 08:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Hi Guys
Has anyone painted the backs of their tanks. and would like to share some of their techniques. ie the type of paint, color, desgn, etc.

I am presently going to experiemt with some txtured spray paint. Its suppose to look like granite

JAmes
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

saltydog

I have painted several tanks by means of a roller using aquamarine-coloured acrylic paint.

I covered the trim with masking tape first to make a neater job. In my opinion it is only possible to paint glass when the pane is horizontal & level. Otherwise, the paint will run & sag. Paint does not want to stick to glass much & it takes a very long time to dry (a couple of days for paint which normally requires only a couple of hours). It is hard to get the paint on evenly with a roller (even ones that are designed for flat surfaces). Uneven application is noticeable when looking through the front of a lighted tank.

While one is at it one might want to paint the bottom too. That way the tank looks better if it is ever used without substrate (as a hospital tank or as a fry-raising tank, for example). A painted bottom may also be useful for substrate-moving fish who create bare patches on the bottom at times.

I have started to put clear adhesive shelf-film (MacTac-type, available at Canadian Tire) over the painted surfaces.  This protects the paint from being scratched off by cords & hoses etc. afterwards. This is tricky to put on without some wrinkling (hardly visible). I recommend four hands!

I use acrylic (water-based) paint because it was recommended by a LFS & is non-toxic  for fish (I believe). I still wonder, however, whether oil-based paint (maybe even marine paint) might adhere better to glass.  Any water which comes in contact with this surface is no longer in contact with the fish & is not likely going back into the tank, so toxicity might be moot.

I think fish may be sensitive to some paint (& varnish) fumes so best to cover other tanks, provide ventilation, etc.

I now insulate the backs & bottoms of my tanks by means of pink styrofoam to reduce heating costs. (This works!) It is available in different thicknesses & is less brittle & flakey than the cheaper white granular variety. I usually paint the visibles edges black after the foam is cut to size. I am wondering whether it might be better to just paint the surface of this before putting it behind the tank instead of bothering to paint the glass at all. Anyone try this?
-thankful for a tankfull-

artw

I've painted a few tanks black with oil based exterior paint...  but in my situation (small rented apartment) it's a heck of a lot easier to cut black bristol board and tape it on.

james

Hi
Alternative to painting you can use some foil paper ie metallic green or blue. You don't put it on flat. You make it a little crumpy. This makes it look 3 d like. Even black goes well. You can get sheets of this at Wallcks Art supplies

Jame
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

dpatte

i tape green garbage bags behind my tanks - takes 3 minutes and about 10cents / tank.

saltydog

A sheet of mylar taped on the back of a tank makes an interesting background. It is almost as reflective as a glass mirror so it makes your tank look twice as deep & also reflects light back into the tank to aid plant growth. Some fish might be bothered by it, I suppose, but such has not been my experience. Mylar seems only to be available in large rolls from hydroponics supply stores so if you want to try this on just one tank you may contact me to get enough for your purposes from what I have on hand.

Whenever you tape a background you should make sure that it is sealed very well. If any water enters between the back of the tank & the background mould will develop. This looks unsightly. In some installations such mould is not possible to remove except by entirely tearing down the tank. I once siliconed a mirror to the back of a tank (not perfectly, I guess) & the mould which developed between the glass & mirror was there permanently.
-thankful for a tankfull-

james

Duct tape does wonders. It will stick to anything and is real strong as well as water proof
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus