Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hygrophilia polysperma melted

Started by new2H2O, July 14, 2008, 11:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2H2O

??? I have no Idea what happened to it. It was growing nicely with new leaves and we moved the tank, some of it got uprooted and I realised that there were no roots, just a slimy blob and that everything under my fluorite sand from this plant was mush!

What happened?

presto

My Hygrophilia polysperma grows outside of my gravel. I use a fishing weight to keep it down.

Some roots establish but I think most of the nutrients come from the water column since there are roots along the whole stem. Try weighing it down but not burying it, just lightly cover the bottom. Maybe add some fertilizer(powder or liquid).

If the substrate is too dense, it can damage the roots as well.

If your in Richmond I can give some to replace it.

new2H2O

thanks, I'll give that a try. It's not all gone just yet but i don't want to lose it!!!

BigDaddy

Sounds like stem damage.  If you don't cut your stems with a nice clean slice, the stem can rot.   A rotten stem won't produce roots and in my experience even the next two nodes have not produced root when the base of the stem rots out.

I've also seen a dense sand hinder proper root growth