Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Unknown Plant

Started by leng, July 20, 2008, 11:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leng

Does anyone know what this copper coloured plant is?

jetstream

I guess it's Ranalisma rostrata  ;)

BigDaddy

Looks like rostrata to me too (man, looks like my clippings are getting about ;) )

I find it does better in some shade than direct light.  Tends to grow a bit bigger when not in direct light as well.

leng

I didn't think that it was Ranalisma rostrata because of the colouration and the very narrow leaves.  From looking at the pictures on the web of ranalisma, I didn't find any pictures that had the same colouration and narrow leaves.  Maybe you guys are right and it looks different when grown in different conditions but until I see other rr's that grow this way, I am not yet convinced.

I got this plant from Toss in the winter.  I am not sure where Toss got this plants from but he wasn't sure what it was at the time.

fischkopp

It could be a red variety of Echinodorus tenellus. Apparently there is on that will always stay green, and another one that turns bronze red given the conditions are right.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

BigDaddy

I was selling this stuff in December at the breakfast.  I am pretty sure Toss picked it up from me.

Web references on rostrata are few and far between.  It is very difficult to find info on it (trust me, I had to do some major digging)

Mine did get a reddish hue in high light as well.  In medium light, it remains green.

leng

Quote from: BigDaddy on July 21, 2008, 01:18:24 PM
I was selling this stuff in December at the breakfast.  I am pretty sure Toss picked it up from me.

Web references on rostrata are few and far between.  It is very difficult to find info on it (trust me, I had to do some major digging)

Mine did get a reddish hue in high light as well.  In medium light, it remains green.

If that is what it is then that is cool.  If anyone has ranalisma rostrata and it looks like this, please post a picture.

fischkopp

Now, we can very well assume that all of our ranalisma rostrata comes from bigdaddy. ;)

Has anybody tried to grow it emersed yet?  :)

So how do you tell the difference between it and tenellus? It looks the same to me.
Well, when grown emersed the difference is clear - Ranalisma's emersed
leaves look more like a small Ozelot leaf in shape.
Submersed, Ranalisma has soft leaves, about the width of tennelus 'micro'
and doesn't grow tall at all. Even older plants stay short.
Side by side you will easily be able to tell them apart.

source
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

jetstream

Here you go Leng!

I over adjusted the white balance on the 2nd photo, but the real plant's colour look almost exactly like the ones in yours!  ;)

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Toss

Hi Leng,

Yup, you got it from me. Mine stays green and a little narrower because of my medium light. I got it from SP Barrhaven about 5 years a go.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

leng

Good stuff Jetstream.  They do look the same.  Thanks for posting the pictures!

Toss, I kind of lost those plants for a while in a sea of dwarf hair grass and when I cleared out the hair grass, I saw them again but they had the copper tint.

Toss

Yeah, they are hard to kill :)
I have some in my window-light only tank and they keep on growing. They are small but growing. I am pretty sure with the right water condition and lots of light, the leave will turn copper and wider.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

wish_Fish

so it is Ranalisma rostrata ?!?! there isnt a certain answer from the above posts.
i've had it for a while..always wondered wut they are as well...
got them from leng with the darf grass in early spring.. was carefully picked it out of the grass. i like it a lot and it is colored nicely with narrow leaves in my high-lighted tank as well.   

leng

Quote from: wish_Fish on July 24, 2008, 03:33:04 AM
so it is Ranalisma rostrata ?!?! there isnt a certain answer from the above posts.
i've had it for a while..always wondered wut they are as well...
got them from leng with the darf grass in early spring.. was carefully picked it out of the grass. i like it a lot and it is colored nicely with narrow leaves in my high-lighted tank as well.   

Yup, that is what it appears to be.