Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

filter inserts

Started by motoman, February 12, 2004, 12:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoman

I have an aquaclear 150 and a new tank. I want to get some plants but I'm wondering if there are any inserts that I should put in the filter that will help or maintain my plants. Do I need to fertilize them? Also should I have something mixed in with the gravel (Sand, peat?)for the plants or is gravel enough?

Motoman :?:

dpatte

I wouldnt worry about the filter.

Plants need fertilisers:

N - Nitrogen
P- Phosphates
K - Potasium

These are the numbers you see on all fertilisers (ie: 6-6-3)

In a stocked aquarium the fish produce ammonia, which is cycled to nitrates. Plants can get their nitrogen from that.

Phosphates come from the breakdown of fish foods - so thats not a problem.

Potassium is in your tapwater, so if you do regular water changes you wont need that either.

Plants also need various minerals. Most will come from your frequent water changes, but iron can deplete so if you have a tank with fast growning plants, id get an iron test kit, and add iron fertiliser if it falls to 0.

The number one thing to learn about setting up aquariums and maintaining them is the nitrogen cycle and how to maintain this properly. Most people lose their fish due to ammonia and nitrite. and many pet shops will sell you $$$ worth of useless products to help you from learning how nitrogen in the tank should be properly handled.

YOu can buy your plants immediately, but the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle should be active in your tank before you buy your fish.

motoman

Ok, thanks for the tips. Any recommendations for low maintenance plants for a community tank? I'm going to get some Neon's or Cardinal tetras in a while (I"m thinking in a week or two).

Motoman