Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

No fish, planted aquarium, CO2 needed?

Started by cemantic, July 21, 2008, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

Thanks zima

Posted before I saw yours.  That works, I like the idea of it coming from the output side better.  Now I know.

cemantic

thanks Zima

now I know it will work on the output side of the filter.  solves that problems.

now water and GH and KH

for what ever reason mine are very low on both and thus from what I've read that makes potential swings of the PH possible.

Suggestions?

zima

Seachem Equilibrium to raise the GH, and simple baking soda to raise the KH. Works like a charm!

cemantic

Is it worth investing in an automated PH controller for the solenoid on the CO2 regulator?

Is Pinpoint's PH Monitor any good?
http://www.americanmarineusa.com/ click on PH controller in left hand menu.

Then there is Neptune System's controllers and systems.
http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=2&Itemid=40

I realize this is overkill.

I will have to experiment and see how the CO2 levels, PH, KH and GH all work to see how to balance this whole thing out.

I will not introduce fish until I can get this figured out though they will effect it in their own right when I do.

I have read that you really don't need CO2 injection on at night.  This can just be set on one of the outlets on the timer for the lights.  My understanding is CO2 during the day or lights on and oxygen at night for plant respiration.

Are oxygen and CO2 test kits valid or how accurate are they?

A fine balance to have a pretty planted tank.

Not too expensive yet.  A few things at a time when I can afford it.  In for the long haul, a great hobby.

Any other suggestions?

Toss

I don't use pH controller. I don't test my water either. I just observe the fish and plant. They will "tell" you when things are wrong or right. I make very small adjustment on one variable at the time. If you setting a new tank, maybe you want to delay the CO2 setup a bit. Samething like gardening, when you put in a new plant, it will take a while before it starts to grow. And if your tank is not heavily planted yet, there is no need for pressurize CO2. You have 110gal right? Things won't go wrong easily with this size of tank but when it happen, it will take a lot of effort to fix it.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

jdsunflower

well for what it's worth, I find it very helpful to track pH as well as both hardness measures. Use of bicarbonate seems very helpful for hardness and buffering, but it then affects pH a great deal. My fish seem calm and content with water that is adjusted with a mixture of vinegar (rather than buffering phosphates) and bicarbonate. For all I know, this could cause an explosion ( :D) but so far so good. I have a 40B tank, tons of plants, 5 corys and 5 rasboras, and they all look content with my efforts such as they are. C02 injection was initially DIY, but I gave up (STRONGLY recommend check valve!!!!!! due to reflux issues), and am now with tank, regulator and solenoid without pH monitor or controller, and all seems fine....Don't you love this hobby!?
JD

charlie

Like Toss , i too don`t check the water paremeters in my planted tanks, i don`t have a PH controller, but i do have a constant PH monitor for visual reference so at any given time i have a idea where my PH should be at.

I don`t manipulate KH or GH intentionally, but it does change when i do my water changes so does my PH , as i do large waterchanges each week - 50-75% water out via pyhton - water in via Pyhton from tap( tank PH usually around 5.7 before WC, after WC around 7.8), the only thing i match is temp. & even that drifts at times.I guess i have been lucky so far, i personally feel when we try to be too exact , thats when we create a lot of problems.
Regards

cemantic

thanks for the replies.

not going to get a PH controller, too expensive and could cause their own problems.

I have a pin point ph monitor that I need to get back in there after things are settled.

Lots to do and a dose of patience I guess.

It is a great hobby, I am having lots of fun and learning a lot from the folks here.

cheers

charlie

I would suggest reading as many different articles on starting a planted tank, this forum ( Plant forum) is a good place to rummage through, they are several different schools of thought on how to keep a planted tank , the trick is finding one that works for your application & lifestyle , focusing on the basic fundamentals  of plant requirements & how you are going to provide it consistently, is the ticket to success.
Regards