Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

UV sterilizer

Started by Jeff1192, August 08, 2008, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I'm planning on getting a UV sterilizer for my 90 gallon (coralife turbo twist 9w). I'm planning on connecting it with a powerhead and having the UV sterilizer hanging off the back of the tank. I was going to do it in-line with my canister filter but I am about to hook up my pressurized CO2 and I'm using a reactor with the canister filter and don't want to hook even more things up down there. Also I figured with a power head I could better control the amount of water flowing through the UV sterilizer. So my question is how often do those of you with UV sterilizers run them? I have read that some people leave them on all the time and others cycle them on and off with the lights of the tank. What are the pros and cons. Is there any advantage to running it 24/7?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

I have one & only use it periodically when i add plants or fish, they are some who argue that it oxidizes some nutrients in a planted tank & as such is not good, in my own travels i have tried it 24/7 with no ill effects that i saw.

dan2x38

I've read that is has no impact on bacteria because it is not suspended in the water coloum. I did read it can have an impact on added nurtrients since they are available in the water coloum. I use mine only when there is a potenial issue. Also when adding new fish. It will keep your tank sparkling with nice clean water I noticed a difference. Good idea with the PH.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

angelfish

I keep mine running 24/7 because I like the clarity of the water - it pretty much eliminates free floating algae.  All my tanks are crystal clear   :)

audioslave_36

I too keep mine running 24/7, aside from water clarity, my ID sharks have not gotten ich ( nor have any of my other tanks for that matter) since I bought UV sterilizers.

littlelil

wow, great thread. This is exactly what I need for my turtle tank! thanks!

May I ask a question? I am not trying to thread-jack. I am curious as to where to attach it to my fluval canister if i get one (same as jeff1192)... ... with the MOPS order? (where were you going to get yours, jeff?)

do i just connect it to the intake or output?

Jeff1192

Actually rumour has it I'm getting one for my birthday!  ::)
I had been planning on getting it from Pets and Ponds, but I hadn't checked the Mops site.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

audioslave_36

Quote from: littlelil on August 09, 2008, 11:33:52 AM
wow, great thread. This is exactly what I need for my turtle tank! thanks!

May I ask a question? I am not trying to thread-jack. I am curious as to where to attach it to my fluval canister if i get one (same as jeff1192)... ... with the MOPS order? (where were you going to get yours, jeff?)

do i just connect it to the intake or output?

connect it to the output of your filter

littlelil

thanks guys. i think i will go for it!