Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

crypts changing colour

Started by Eric, August 11, 2008, 12:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Hi -

I moved my plants to another tank last winter, and my crypts are all changing colour.  Not sure if it means anything. 

They were a nice dark brown-green (sorry, can't remember what kind).  Now are light even yellowish green.  But the plants seem healthy - no brown or dying leaves or holes, and the growing and propagating like mad. 

I am thinking something else has changed, but not sure what.  The tank is a 90 (they were in a 75).  Has two T-8s and two T-12s.  They had four T-12s before.  No CO2.  The water is a lot warmer than it used to be -- high 80s over the summer (the attic has no insulation it seems).  My ferts are minimal these days - iron, excel.  I used to use more, but stopped after the move. 

Also my crypt balansae are doing great, and almost all my vals and hygo died off a while back (maybe the temp? not sure). 

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Could it be not enough light in the deeper tank, or the temp?  I am way curious.

Cheers,

charlie

Quote from: Eric on August 11, 2008, 12:39:03 PM
Hi -

I moved my plants to another tank last winter, and my crypts are all changing colour.  Not sure if it means anything. 

They were a nice dark brown-green (sorry, can't remember what kind).  Now are light even yellowish green.  But the plants seem healthy - no brown or dying leaves or holes, and the growing and propagating like mad. 

I am thinking something else has changed, but not sure what.  The tank is a 90 (they were in a 75).  Has two T-8s and two T-12s.  They had four T-12s before.  No CO2.  The water is a lot warmer than it used to be -- high 80s over the summer (the attic has no insulation it seems).  My ferts are minimal these days - iron, excel.  I used to use more, but stopped after the move.  Also my crypt balansae are doing great, and almost all my vals and hygo died off a while back (maybe the temp? not sure). 

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Could it be not enough light in the deeper tank, or the temp?  I am way curious.

Cheers,

If i were to stab at a guess, i would try getting your ferts back up to usual, then go from there.

FocusFin

Crypts Changing Colours...colours...ccc...colours...colours...ccc...

Now I'm gonna have to buy a new wardrobe ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

FocusFin

Quote from: FocusFin on August 11, 2008, 01:10:41 PM
Crypts Changing Colours...colours...ccc...colours...colours...ccc...

Now I'm gonna have to buy a new wardrobe ;)

Sorry,

It was somewhat funnier in my head.

How's the Fluval working out for you.

Mike
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

dan2x38

Like Charlie you've cut back on the ferts. I'd also bet on the lighting with the additional depth. Also the temp. a lot of plants do not do well at higher temps. I forget the stats but light refraction is greater as the water gets deeper. It is not a proportional change but exponential. Look it up on the Net I read about it before. There is a big difference for light pentration from a 75g-90g.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Eric

So I guess you all think this is worth doing something about?  I was sort of convincing myself it was no big deal.  Since the Val died off a couple of months ago, the crypts have spread almost into a carpet they are growing so well.  I was feeling good about cutting down the ferts too - sort of like when I cut out CO2 and could put my pruners away!

Maybe I will try to up the light.  I have an extra I can hang.  I'll hold off on ferts as a back up after I see what happens.  And if summer ever ends, I will get a drop in temp too.  It's like my own little science experiment. 

Sound like a plan? 

Eric

Ps - Hi Mike - I was confused until the pic loaded, then lol.  And thanks, the fluval is great... but now you reminded me I should clean it some month!!

presto

Iron was the extra touch that made my crypts thrive.

Be careful about adding more light, it could destabilize everything even more or make you have to add more ferts and co2 to maintain balance. Or just cause an algae break out.

charlie

Quote from: Eric on August 11, 2008, 03:19:20 PM
So I guess you all think this is worth doing something about?  I was sort of convincing myself it was no big deal.  Since the Val died off a couple of months ago, the crypts have spread almost into a carpet they are growing so well.  I was feeling good about cutting down the ferts too - sort of like when I cut out CO2 and could put my pruners away!

Maybe I will try to up the light.  I have an extra I can hang.  I'll hold off on ferts as a back up after I see what happens.  And if summer ever ends, I will get a drop in temp too.  It's like my own little science experiment. 

Sound like a plan? 

Eric

Ps - Hi Mike - I was confused until the pic loaded, then lol.  And thanks, the fluval is great... but now you reminded me I should clean it some month!!

Eric here are a few things to consider, keep in mind these are all stabs in the dark . The plants you are dealing with ( Crypts) do not require lots of light, what they do better with though is good nutrients  , more so in the substrate , simply because they uptake most from the root structure, there is a chance that the plants were doing good , due to the nutrients that was available to them & has now started to show the signs of deficiency now that the source is depleting.

If what i suspect is your problem , you are setting yourself up for more problems by increasing light & restricting nutrients, since the chain of demand for plant requirements goes like this in the following order ,
(1) Light
(2) Carbon
(3) Macro Nutrients ( NPK)
(4) Micro Nutrients ( Traces & Iron)
in other words , light drives growth , -
growth demands carbon, as the the first 2 elements are adequatley supplied Macro & Micro nutrients are required to maintain healthy growth.

dan2x38

Listen to Charlie he is the plant master! The short explaination he offered is perfect. If ant of those required components are missing algae will take advantage and bloom soon killing your plants.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 12, 2008, 12:34:03 AM
Listen to Charlie he is the plant master! The short explaination he offered is perfect. If ant of those required components are missing algae will take advantage and bloom soon killing your plants.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan  ;), but the truth i`m only relaying what others have taught / share on this wonderful forum offered by a great club  :D - HAVE YOU AQUIRED YOUR MEMBERSHIP YET  ;D ;D :D

Eric

Ok, this is helpful.  I am convinced!  I guess I am being lazy trying to avoid ferts since it was working before.  I think I will switch to dry too. 
Thanks for the help.
Eric