Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY spray bar

Started by KLKelly, August 17, 2008, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Do you guys have any ideas for making a DIY spraybar?  I don't have a cannister filter but have a need for a spray bar.  (long story).

I've never seen the fluval spraybar setup but would it work the same attached to a powerhead instead of a cannister filter or would that not be powerful enough?

Any ideas?

If not, I'll just wait for a deal on a cannister filter for this purpose I guess.

Thanks!

Karrie

KLKelly

I thought this would be some kind of new concept  :-[

Tons of stuff on Google.  Reading up on it now :)

Agnate

It seems like it would be easy enough.  You just need to find some plastic tubing (either PVC or the flexible stuff), and put some holes into it, then wedge it over the output of your powerhead (connect the rigid PVC to the powerhead using a piece of flexible tubing).  :)

I've wedged flexible tubing from Canadian Tire onto my MaxiJet as a pump for water changes, so it shouldn't be much different to add a piece of PVC into it.  Heck, you could probably even use that clear tubing you can get at Big Al's, and just cap the end of it (or wedge a piece of sponge in there if you don't feel like using the gluing stuff).

Hopefully you find what you need!

RossW

You could buy my Fluval Parts for $5 which is enough for about 4' of spray bar.  I think all you would need is a powerhead and a little bit of tubing to connect the powerhead to the bar.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=29878.msg194976#msg194976

kennyman

Sounds like a great idea  :D

shoot me a pm if you are curious about what I did with that.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

I made one using a 1200 MJ PH. I used PVC 1/2" pipe & PVC cement. I also bought a slip fit elbow fitting to connect to the output of the PH for easy cleaning. You need a couple elbows too. I found it better to place the PH lower in the tank so you do not have to shut it off during WCs. I drilled holes into a piece of PVC pipe about 18" for the spray bar. Then attached the bar using heater suction cups. I also added a 1/2" ball valve to control flow output. If you want come by and see it... it can be simplified easily. Remember not all DIY is cheaper!  8) But to me it is a lot more fun and I get what I want - sometimes...  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

You guys are the best.  Thank you.

Its cheap if I don't have to buy a cannister filter. 

I'm glad I posted after all now.  I was embarrassed once I saw how many people have done this online already.  Will be sending PMs :)