Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

excel overdosing

Started by Nyx, August 21, 2008, 02:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Does flourish overdosing work on hair algae as well as brush algae? Is it safe to use with invertebrates (cherry shrimp)? If so, how much do I put in a 30G tank and for how long? How often do I need to change the water during this? How much of a water change?  ???

9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

BigDaddy

You mean Excel right?  Overdosing Flourish is gonna create MORE brush algae.

No, I don't believe OD'ing Excel is safe for inverts.

Nyx

Duh, yes, I do mean Excel. So, I guess the shrimp means I can't try that. I don't mind the brush algae so much as it is on the driftwood and looks fine but it's the hair algae that is driving me nuts. It's growing in my Christmas moss and making a mess of it. I have an SAE but he doesn't do much of anything by the looks of things. What else can I try?
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

sdivell

well you can try and find the source of the algae.  There's one thing to add something to the water that'll kill off the algae but without finding out where your nutrient problem is the algae will just come back.

Are you dosing fertilizer right now?
any Co2 on the tank?
Lighting?
Water change schedule?

BigDaddy

Quote from: Nyx on August 21, 2008, 03:00:30 PM
Duh, yes, I do mean Excel. So, I guess the shrimp means I can't try that. I don't mind the brush algae so much as it is on the driftwood and looks fine but it's the hair algae that is driving me nuts. It's growing in my Christmas moss and making a mess of it. I have an SAE but he doesn't do much of anything by the looks of things. What else can I try?

Just an FYI.  Mosses and SAEs don't mix.  The moss will soon become dinner.

If you want to keep xmas moss, loose the SAE.

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 21, 2008, 03:37:23 PM
Just an FYI.  Mosses and SAEs don't mix.  The moss will soon become dinner.

If you want to keep xmas moss, loose the SAE.

Very true I had a SAE he devoured my Phyneix moss...  >:( Got more moss got rid of the SAE.

sdivell is right... his questions are very important it is all about balance. Here's a good link- http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Nyx , regarding the cherry shrimp , i also read somewhere that it is not the best for inverts, that said i have personally triple dosed my tank with cherry shrimp & saw no adverse effects, can`t guarantee you will have the same luck  ;), the recommended dose is 5 ml per 50 gallon.