Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Goin' pressurized tomorrow

Started by dan2x38, August 12, 2008, 09:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Quote from: charlie on August 15, 2008, 01:20:15 PM
You said the KH did not register, what did the PH register at?

pH was 6.0 & KH 0

I added crushed corel to the filter yesterday morning. Last night 2 hrs. after lights out was pH 6.6 & KH 2. Will retest that water samples pH. Later on test KH from tank again. This low a KH concerns me. But I am not sure how long it has been like that? So no way to tell if it had anything to do with the pressurized CO2.

I was in Mtrl so did not test water at lights out. Will try to tonight but heading to the Ex with the Fam... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

BigDaddy

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 15, 2008, 12:07:44 PM
Seeing the KH off the chart scares me! In that tank it was always arounf 4. Why would the KH fall off like that?

Lots of light, lots of nutrients, not enough CO2.  The plants will strip the carbonate out of the water to get their carbon source.

PS - Adding crushed coral to a tank with pressurized CO2 is an accident waiting to happen.

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 17, 2008, 10:45:08 AM
PS - Adding crushed coral to a tank with pressurized CO2 is an accident waiting to happen.

Why?

Corel coming out!

Here is a link I've researched in the past: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
Voltaire:

dan2x38

I got a 3 way bubble counter. I took your advice Charlie hooked up my 75g to my rig. I went and bought some heavy air line from Canus plastics for $0.17/ft. It took awhile to get it to the other side of the room but I did it. Now I need another timer to set the CO2 on before lights & off before lights. Really considering setting an air pump on a timer for lights out. Either way be interesting to see the results in my 75.
Voltaire:

zima

Dan, I wouldn't use the crushed corral either... Sean is right - the CO2 gas is acidic, will eventually cause the corral to disintegrate, and fast! Why not use the good old baking soda with your water changes to raise the KH? I add a teaspoon after each water change as part of my weekly routine. Works like a charm!

dan2x38

BD said he uses nothing. His KH often drops with no affects. I did remove the coral. I think I'll leave it for now... after all BD & Charlie are the true plant gurus... Not been testing lately since I've tweaking the system. Tomorrow or Sat will test again for a baseline again.

Using 2 nano glass diffusers in my 75. Think I'll add a couple small PHs I have to disperse better.

I tell ya it took some time to get both working had a couple leaks...  :D
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Well the 3-way bubble counter worked great was running the 2 tanks. I looked over tonight at the other tank and there was no CO2 output. So I checked the bubble counters nothing... adjusted the needle valve nothing... there is a leak I lost the whole bottle in a week. :( Now I got to refill $23 a pop and find the leak. Crap!

Is there a gang valve I can use to split the output from my one bubble counter? If so can I get one locally?
Voltaire:

fischkopp

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 24, 2008, 07:28:56 PM
... there is a leak I lost the whole bottle in a week.

This sounds more like a leak between CO2 canister and high pressure regulator to me. Did you use a o-ring in between? Did you check this connection for leaks before setting everything else up? (switch off solenoid, close CO2 canister, check if high pressure indicator changes within an hour or so)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Toss

Do you have the 10lb tank? If you finished them in a week, it must be quite a leak. I hope you able to find it.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

dan2x38

There was a leak on one of the bubble counters. To find it I put it in water. I fixed the leak. Then I started getting output to the 2nd tank. Yes I used an 'O' ring the one that came with the regulator. What sugestions do any of you have? How best to find the leak/s? And to not have it happen again!  :( A lot more expensive then 2 cups of sugar and a tsp. of yeast.
Voltaire: