Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help! My Tufa Rocks are turning Blue!!

Started by celamllmal, October 13, 2008, 02:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celamllmal

My tank of Malawis has ich and have been treating for only 2 days.   :-[
I realised this morning that the treatment is turning my tufa rock blue and am wondering what to do. :-\
If I remove the rocks, the fish will have no safe place to hide and if I leave it I am afraid that my rocks (worth over $300) will be ruined.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

KLKelly

I assume you are using quickcure.  Fresh carbon in the filter would most likely help get it out along with water changes.

You could treat ich with salt and raised temps and lots of vacuuming also instead.  Not sure about your rocks though - never had them.

synodontis

I had a small outbreak if ich in my 92 gal african tank about a month ago.  As KLKelly said, use salt and high temps.  I always have salt in with the africans.  I raised the temperature to 85F, and within a week, the ich was gone and the fish survived the higher temperature.  I read somewhere to keep the temp at 85 for 10 days to ensure no further outbreak.

Toss

Quickcure will stain everything in the tank blue. It will take some time to get it off your rock.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS