Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish tanks pose a risk for Salmonella.

Started by charlie, October 22, 2008, 01:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montrealguy

It's a common sense issue - if I go out to catch fish in swampy water, I wash after. And yet swampy water is cleaner than a poorly maintained tank in a home. If you do your water changes and clean filters as the article suggests, the risk is minimized. If you don't wash your hands carefully after working on a tank, you may as well drink the water.

Nerine

I read this a couple days ago!

don't drink your tank water :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

married2OVASmember

washefuzzy

Quote from: Nerine on October 23, 2008, 11:01:38 AM
I read this a couple days ago!

don't drink your tank water :D

To late I keeping splashing that water everywhere.  :P  But I live to tell the tale.  :)

Nerine

don't lick your fish either?
haha

I dunno, but I think we're all gonna die someday, and I feel might as well be doing something we love right? ;)

As a kid, I don't think I ever washed my hands before or after cleaning out the fish tank, and I must confess, I own reptiles, and I confess to having a lizard in one hand and food in the other and then switching...I dunno but I also ate dirt as a kid a few times, kids today are too clean and get sick with things like salmonella too easily?? LOL I dunno but we should be careful, but not too careful otherwise we kill our bodies ability to fight off things
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bitterman

dan2x38

Before my python or my hand pump I swallowed a lot of water starting pythons or priming a pump... I lived to tell the tale...  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kennyman

washefuzzy

Tsukiyomi-sakura

I also swallowed a lot of water Starting pythons and such, as a kid I never washed my hands after being in the tank unless a fish was dead. :P

I still get water in my mouth starting syphons. I also ate A live tadpole(from wild pond) and I'm still here.

2075turner

Was this artical written by someone who had a bad aquarium experience?  LOL ;D  Amazing what they are doing research on, lol ;D  I better go get my rubber suit out of the closet when I go to do some water changes lol ;D  Seriously, interesting topic, thanks :)

Montrealguy

Okay, so I don't always do what I said we should do earlier in the thread. Still, we should be practical and careful. If you wash your hands after you clean uo for a dog, then it makes sense to do the same for a fishtank. As well, children and immune compromised people should be careful. A few years ago, I was battling exhaustion and running on empty a lot, and I got a rare case of fish tuberculosis. It's cured, but it took six months of antibiotics. No one wants to go there.
It's a safe healthy hobby. What this 'boils' down to is: life is good if you avoid eating or drinking fish poop.

tim_s

This is kinda interesting.

I feed the water from my water exchanged into my potted garden (aka its not in the ground it is in a large container on a balcony) it has made my chilli plants grow like crazy.

I also like to use the water to wash my balcony / water plants anything I can make the use of the water the better.

I dump tons and tons of water just from the fish tanks so I try and not let it go to complete waste.