Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

required filter stages in auqaclears

Started by Soeman, October 17, 2008, 06:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soeman

So I acquired a used auqaclear the other day for one of my empty tanks, and went to my LFS for a new filter. The sales person insisted that the sponge only provides mechanical filtration, and for biological filtration I needed to buy the other stage; they equally convinced that the carbon filter was an absolute neccesity. Knowing that the majority of sales vendors 'knowledge' comes from the suppliers, and thus jaded, i thought i'd come here for what i hope is unbiased advice.

1) I know the sponges _can_ provide suitable sites for the establishment of bacteria, but is it enough? Is the supplier's suggested 'biological filter stage' (which appears to be basicaly a bag of stones) the best option? an alternative would be to throw in a couple bio balls.

2) In general, is carbon filtration required?

mdaigle

I've been running AC filters for years with sponges only .... Shhhh don't tell my fish !!

Michel

55g FW Community - Neons, Cardinals, Rasboras, YoYo Loaches
30g - Lake Malawi Cichlids
20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital

KLKelly

I have a higher bioload tank with no plants.  I like the comfort level of having the biofilter media.  I've never had a crash (which is important with a PH of 9.0 ammonia is toxic at lower levels) and its super easy to seed other tanks.  I don't have carbon in my filter unless I'm removing medication or worried about a contaminate.  I do use purigen though.

I actually cut my sponges in half thickness wise and add more biomedia.  I have ammonia in my well water and my filters eat it up in a matter of a couple of hours.

beowulf

As with mdaigle I only use sponge in my filters and have never had an issue.

fischkopp

Sponges are just fine for bio-filtration. You can use any ceramic-type biomedias to increase the surface area and hence the filtration even more. I made a sandwich, like KLKelly: sponge-ceramic balls -sponge. I even put a little sponge in the chamber with the tube intake.

You don't need active carbon unless you want to filter any nasty stuff out of the water: medications, heavy metals, tannins, ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Soeman

Thanks folks, you're giving me exactly the response I expected. Glad to know I was on the right track  :)

tim_s

I use sponge and bio media.
I will admit the bio media is more for me and my worries then it is for the fish.

Laura

I only use sponges in my AC filters too.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

bergenm

I don't think it really matters what you put in your AC filter - sponge, carbon, am-rid, ceramics, pot scrubbies - whats important is that you only clean the media with used tank water. A couple of passes under the tap and the media become next to useless.

Personally I use the same sponge, carbon and ceramics that came with the filter when I bought them a couple of years ago - they are all now biological filters.

I would only replace the carbon or add am-rid if I was trying to resolve a specific problem with the water.
Michael

mseguin

I generally recommend to people to use the sponge, and biomax or other biomedia.